Ch. 9: Silver Tongue

The seamstress stuck another pin in my gown and stepped back to observe her handiwork so far.

It was Friday, a day before the ball, and we were all having the finishing touches on our gowns done. Champagne in color, my dress was a mermaid style with gold and black rhinestones in various sizes dispersed across the bodice in loose swirls. The thin straps allowed for a good deal of cleavage that managed to be sophisticated and sexy at the same time. I thought I had gotten over the pretty dress phase but after seeing the finished product, even I had to admit I looked pretty damn good. The color brought out the warmer tones in my hair and made my green eyes glow in an almost catlike fashion.

"It looks splendid on you," the seamstress gushed, boosting my ego even further. "All I need is to take in the bust a little and you'll be all set for tomorrow."

I grinned, observing my reflection in the full-length mirror. "You did such a good job in such a short amount of time."

"Plenty of practice, dear." The seamstress made a few notes before helping me to get out of the gown. "Madam Moreau calls on us every year and I enjoy helping you girls become belles of the ball." She delicately hung the dress on a hanger, fingering the fabric as she thought. "I'm also her favorite to call on when it's time to make the bonding ceremony dresses."

"What do they look like?" I'd heard about them, of course. The sacred outfit was worn by a pet when she was claimed fully, marked for everyone to see. What exactly they looked like, however, was unknown, and trying to get anyone to say anything about the bonding ceremony was like pulling teeth. All anyone would say was it was the last step in the process of becoming a pet. It was too personal to reveal anything else.

"Sorry, dearie. That's a secret." She gave me a genuinely apologetic smile as she started collecting her things to go. "All I can say is they are the most wonderful creations and a treat to make. The pet putting her faith in her master. So, so romantic, don't you think? I hope you are lucky enough to find out, though."

She had a soft smile on her face as she recalled the memories and I wondered just how many girls she had seen walk through those doors. How many of them had gone on to be lucky enough to wear the sacred bonding gown? The desire to be one of them burned in my chest and I unconsciously reached up to rub it through my shirt. Thanking her again, I hurried to change so I could make it to dinner on time. Kali's fitting had been earlier in the day so she was already there holding a table for us. The whole time, one thought seared itself into my head, unwilling to be forgotten.

I will see one of those dresses in May!

⚊⚊⚊⚊⚊🌸⚊⚊⚊⚊⚊

All the bedrooms were on the second floor, the first being mostly a commons room with a small kitchen off to the side. The interior was more welcoming than the outside let on, with thick rugs and warm brown finishing. There was even a fireplace in the corner. Spacious, with crown molding and a canopy bed, my room felt more fitting for a princess. My own personal bathroom and balcony only added to the feeling as I unpacked and made the space mine.

Picking up the phone, I dialed River's number, now scratched down on a piece of stationery that had been laying around. I absently stared at the photo of us as the phone continued to ring, unsurprised when I heard his voice mail. Disappointment burned my throat anyways, tears threatened to fall, and I hung up without leaving a message. Nothing I wanted to say could be summed up that quickly.

I wanted to tell him about my first week. About Kali and Claire. About Pearl and her cronies (which I had finally learned were named Sasha and Tori) and Ms. Berg, my Vampire Society professor, that had a stick up her ass and a mean streak a mile long. I wanted to talk about how amazing Rigryce was turning out to be, how much I loved it here already. It wasn't about the wealth but this feeling of finally belonging, of coming home. I wanted to talk to him, hear his voice and his laugh.