CHAPTER 40- CONCERNED ABOUT HIM

****Caroline's POV****

'To give that man what he actually deserves.' The words echoed in my head, sending a chill down my spine every time I thought about the confidence with which Aaron had said that. What did James actually deserve? I thought as I paced around the room. My anxiety had nothing to do with James' well-being. I had spent enough time worrying about the wrong things.

In a way, I wasn't worried about Aaron in the traditional sense. He can look after himself. He would not get hurt, I was sure. But the anger when he had thrown my phone away, the words that he had said as he walked out of the house, the confidence and coldness in his demeanor were what worried me. What was he planning to do? What was he doing right now?

I could have gotten an answer to those questions if Aaron had not thrown away my phone. I stopped pacing around the room to look at those broken pieces. Was his phone not enough? Why did he have to throw mine too? I understood his anger at the moment, but what was I supposed to do about my concern for him?

Last night he had stayed out, driving, to get his temper under control. Then he worked till morning, only to leave without having breakfast. He was too angry when he left and I didn't want him to do something that he would regret later. I didn't want him to get into trouble.

My series of thoughts came to a halt by a knock on the door. It was Nina, the housemaid, who had come to deliver two brand new phones on Aaron's command.

"Thank you!" I hugged her, unable to contain my gratitude. The phone felt like the cure for all my troubles.

"Should I bring another breakfast, Caroline?" Nina eyed the almost cold toast and coffee.

I had no appetite since Aaron had left and I shook my head. "No. Just thank you for the phones."

"Mr Woodwords got it sent for you," said Nina as she collected the cold breakfast tray to take it away.

I waved my hand, not wanting to go into the technicalities. "Doesn't matter," I said.

Taking one of the boxes out of the bag, I ripped it open in a haste. With the required settings done and my old sim card in place, I was about to call Aaron when a different call popped up.

I stared at the screen contemplating if I should answer it or not. A private number? Again? How long has it been since the last time I had a caller calling me with a private number? Too long to remember.

My initial thought was to reject it and go forward with my plan to call Aaron, but the curiosity of finding out about the private caller made me tap on the green button.

"Hello?" I said, my tone was unconsciously too cautious.

"Why are you talking like this?" Dylan mimicked my tone.

"Why the hell is your number a private number?" I asked, irritated. I had imagined a whole creepy private caller scenario in my head only to find out it was my stupid cousin.

"It's always been a private number, Caro. You've just never had the privilege of talking to me while I was working in my office," Dylan informed.

"You've called me before by this number?"

"Yes, and you never answered."

I sighed. I would have if getting calls from private numbers weren't creepy.

"How have you been, Caro?" Dylan asked. A suspicious question, since he hardly ever called me to chat about my well-being. And he was way too busy of a guy to have a conversation with me for longer than ten minutes whenever I called.

"I'm good, Dylan. Thank you for asking. Will you mind if I call you back in a while? I need to call Aaron right now," I said, intending to end the call immediately after his reply.