Chapter Thirteen

This banner is so insanely beautiful! Thank you so much to BecomingApocalypse who always makes the best banners!

If you would like to send in your banners for a special mention, my email is open! Midika36@gmail.com

Word Count: 1967

~Dawn

"I'm fine, Dawny. I understand why you want to do this."

I gaze down at my young sister, all dressed up and looking pretty. She suits this lifestyle, I have decided, and I'm going to make sure she finds someone who will take care of her and let her do as she pleases. Her mate, or not.

"Rylan even came to see me," she adds, hoping off her bed to wander of to her vanity. It's strange how this all belongs to her now. "He said I can go anywhere on his property. Inside, even the gardens."

"It doesn't bother you that you can't go outside anymore? Into the forest, I mean?"

Lucy shakes her head at me, picking the hairbrush up to run it through her hair. Had she been lying to me when she told me she loved the freedom over a conventional lifestyle? Her beauty at least will help her fit in here. Those doe eyes and that button nose. She is only young, but I can already see her being so extremely successful in her life.

"It's new, and I like that. It's only early days yet, but I might even consider going to school here or something," she adds, smiling brightly into the mirror.

The novelty will wear off, sister.

I keep my mouth shut. I'm not going to mention her sudden change of tact or address my distaste for her words. It's her choice what she decides to do with her life, not mine. However, it makes me nervous to think how easily influenced she may be by other Purity Pack members.

"Anyways, don't you and Rylan have a date today, or something?" she questions, standing back up again to wander over to me.

Ah yes. I'm surprised he wants to get into this straight away, considering the whole mating ceremony is a whole month away. If anything, I thought I would be locked away in my room, yet he is actually letting me out after what had happened. I can imagine the security when we leave the place, keeping me prisoner even out in public.

"Something like that," I breathe.

She places her hands on her shoulders and smiles at me. "I think I'm going to play around in the garden or something."

Good. Be a kid, for once.

Lucy leaves in a flurry of white fabric and dark hair. It strikes me as more than strange that she changed her mind about living here. Back in the forest, she would trash talk Rylan more than I would.

Shaking my head in wonder, I follow her out the door, however, I walk the opposite way. I've agreed to try with Rylan, which means going along with his little date idea. In reality, I want to stress my rules of freedom around here...maybe even convince him to let me out of here for a few hours on the terms that, of course, I would come back.

Maybe. I'm feeling better now that I'm eating properly again.

The moment I turn the corner to walk down the stairs, I'm brought to a startled stop. A man stood at the top of the stairs, leaning against the banister, a brooding expression on his face.

He stands tall at the sight of me, an immediate grin dancing across his lips. I'm taken aback by him, and the way he looks. I've never seen someone with hair that is such a luminous dark blue, scattered across the man's forehead to his eyes, which are a threatening obsidian colour.