chapter 4

tyler's pov

my mind races as i speed to the nearby hospital. joe, one of troye's dim-witted friends that i had to pickup, sits nervously in the passenger seat. he's mumbling about something, but i ignore him. it gives me time to think about what will happen next. i'm a little giddy, i mean troye called me to go comfort him. i wonder if dan will be there too? there are so many questions are swirling around my mind that i can't find an answer to any of them.

but there is something else bothering me. as concerned as i am about troye, i'm also worried about phil. he looked so defeated when i left and i can't help but wonder if i did something wrong. i didn't though, right? i can't think of anything bad. doesn't he realise i have other friends? i can't give him all of my attention.

i shove the rude thoughts out of my mind hastily. phil would never think such unhappy things, he understands that i have other obligations. right? i nod to myself. phil always understands. that's probably one of my favourite qualities about him.
whenever something is going wrong he always knows the perfect thing to say, and the best way to say it. i know i'm lucky to have phil, and i do try to show i appreciate it, but sometimes i wonder what it'd be like if we weren't friends.

the only reason i'm not part of troye's group is because i can't leave phil. no matter how hard i try, he refuses to join me in the quest to be popular, which only holds me back more. if i didn't have to worry about him, troye and i would probably already be dating.

my thoughts continue being irrational as i quickly park and rush through the doors to the waiting room of the accident and emergency centre. i'm immediately wrapped in a hug by troye. i melt under his touch and we cuddle up next to each other in the firm, cushioned chairs. every thought of phil swirling around my mind immediately disperses.

and there's no sight of dan.

dan's pov

my fingers tap on my worn, wooden desk impatiently. troye promised he'd call me 45 minutes ago. he won't answer my texts or voicemails, and i have no idea where he is. in fact, i have no idea where anyone is. i live alone with my parents who are constantly away on business, and it's hard for me to keep track of their travels. they left really suddenly this afternoon, and since then i've been trying to contact troye to see if i can stay with him again.

a soft yawn escapes my chapped lips as i curl into a ball on my bed, wearing a knitted blue jumper and checkered boxers. they match my bedsheets with their black and grey square pattern. i trace the lines on my duvet, pondering what to do next. i can't sit still for long without something to do, because then it leads to me questioning things. i need a distraction.

the feeling of absolute loneliness washes over me and i wish i wasn't so isolated. i ponder inviting someone over, but i can't think of anyone who would come. everyone hates me. they think of me as a bully, and an all around awful person. i think of myself like that too.

but then a pale face pops up in my mind. framed by hair that would best be described as the colour of midnight, and an aura so beautifully sweet that he could never reject me. i was cruel to him, but i know he's not the type to betray someone. i feel a small pang in my heart at the thought of seeing him.

i'm lonely, and in the mood to piss someone off. who better to make upset than troye? if he knew i was alone with another boy, maybe he'd give me the attention i want. it sounds like a perfect plan to me so i pick up my phone and dial phil's number.