The Queen is Dead

Snow White walked graciously down the hallway to show off her beautiful pink dress – the gown puffed out making her seem almost like a porcelain doll. Her mother was bouncing up and down, before she turned around to see her daughter. Snow saw her baby sister in her mother's arms. The girl was barely even a month old as her mother bounced her in her arms. Snow admitted that she was slightly jealous of the little Princess Adelaide in her mother's arms, she took away her mother. After all, now Queen Eva had to spend all of her spare time taking care of the baby – well she didn't need to however she wasn't about to let her daughter to be brought up by a nursemaid. But Snow put her envy aside as one day she would have a sister she could dress up and play with. And in this one moment her mother's eyes were only on her.

"Do you like it?"

"Oh my dear Snow, you are an absolute vision. You are going to be the talk of the ball and not just because it's for your birthday," Queen Eva said, Snow beamed. The very idea of people paying more attention to her than her baby sister was heart-warming, all anyone talked about these days was the baby. Snow hugged her mother from the side, being careful not to hurt the baby. "Come, I can hardly believe you're growing up so fast – you'll be such a good elder sister, which reminds me. I have a gift for you, it was my mother's once and her mother's before that. And soon, it will be yours and then one day if you want to you can hand it down too little Adelaide,"

She took Snow's hand with her spare hand, holding the sleeping princess in her other. They entered the Queen's chambers to see a maid servant playing with the Queen's crown. Queen Eva moved to the cot, to place the sleeping princess down before turning to her maid.

"Johanna,"

"Oh! Oh your Majesty, oh please forgive me. I just wanted to see-"

"How dare you? That's mine," Snow said taking out her anger on poor Johanna, giving the Queen cause to be disappointed. "It's not for a servant,"

"It was my mistake,"

"Servant's don't wear crowns,"

"Enough," Queen Eva said, she was frustrated with how this was going.

"I'm sorry your majesty-"

"No I was talking to Snow," Eva said, causing her daughter to turn to her extremely confused. As far as she knew she'd done nothing wrong.

"Me?"

"I thought I raised you better than that Snow, what sort of example do you think you are setting for your sister. It doesn't matter whether one is a servant or royalty, everyone in the kingdom deserves our love and respect,"

"But she took my tiara-"

"She apologised," Eva said trying to make Snow see her wrong, "And it isn't yours yet,"

"Your majesty, it's all right."

"You are kind Johanna but Snow must learn, my dear we are all the same."

"But I thought we were royals,"

"We are, but that doesn't make us better than anyone else," Eva said as her tone awoke the sleeping princess, she turned from her daughter to pick up the princess and soothe her, "The upcoming ball for instance, can you tell me what it is for?"

"It's to honour me on my birthday,"

"No, it's for you to honour them by showing them you will be a king and benevolent leader when that time comes, please." She said to Johanna who handed the tiara over to Snow White as her mother lead her to a mirror, "When you are crowned with this on your birthday it will be a symbol that you will always hold goodness in your heart and rule justly, now do you understand?"