Chapter 17

They say that love is a tango | 17

The steps came fluidly, of course. Even though both of these horribly, terribly confused teenagers' hearts were on a dangerous line, they obediently started their dance sequence.

The rich, saccharine, sickly-sweet intro began, and Harriet and Daniel clasped hands. As they shuffled over the stage, their hearts did mini-tangos inside their chest.

A spin. A flick of the wrist. No, they weren't good dancers, but they were dancing within themselves. They were dancing with determination. And they were dancing with undiscovered sentiments.

Harriet closed her eyes. She knew that she had to pay attention to the sequence. They had changed it. But she couldn't concentrate with his hand intertwined with hers (like she wasn't feeling pathetic enough).

The apex of the song erupted; a joyful string of tacky beats. Harriet mechanically hopped, letting herself be pulled along with Daniel. They were dancing close, too close. She wanted to touch his face.

A lovely chorus began, bursting with an emotion she couldn't explain. Like how she felt when she made eye contact with him.

God, what was happening to her?

Daniel placed his hands on her hips, almost gasping from the electricity searing through his veins.

The dramatic metronome was coming to an end. The song was about to finish. Harriet felt panic gnawing at her guts. She couldn't remember the next step! She knew that if she didn't remember it, she would have to improvise. The word almost made her want to crawl in a hole and die.

Daniel neared her, probably preparing for the next step. Which she couldn't remember.

However, before Harriet could panic further (and accidentally start a tribal dance in trepidation) Daniel grabbed her hand and forcefully spun her around.

What the-

With a final stance, he dipped her. Harriet's heart fluttered as her body tilted, and then the music stopped. The memories came rushing back to her, and after a few seconds, she realized that she was in the exact same position a few nights ago.

This was it.

Daniel stared at Harriet, breathing hard. A slow clap rippled through the audience, before it became a moderate (dare he say...loud?) applause. A wolf whistle echoed throughout the theater.

He wasn't letting her go. Daniel relished the way his hand tingled as they held her hips. His mouth slowly stretched into a grin.

"I told you the spin was-"

Before Daniel could finish his sentence, Harriet grabbed his face and planted her lips on his.

The crowd went wild.