Lost

Part 1. Enjoy!

Ezra's POV:

We stood, staring at what we used to call home. The flames still burning brightly under the glow of the moon.
My sister, Sabine, was crying into my shoulder as I clutched her protectively.
It had been a very eventful night.

It had all started when our parents came running into our room.
We had been reading about Quidditch when they burst in.
They said we were in danger from Death Eaters. We'd heard about them. They were Lord Voldemort's supporters. We were terrified as one came into the room a few seconds afterwards.
He pointed his wand at our parents who were standing in front of us.
Pleading that he would kill them and spare us.
I could still hear their dying screams as the Death Eater murdered them.
He then lit the house on fire and left my sister and I for dead.
Thankfully, Sabine had always been gifted with skills on a broomstick.
She grabbed our fathers trusty Firebolt and we flew out of the window.

Now, here we were.
Staring as our house fell apart.
Feeling empty. Devastated. Lost.
It wasn't long before a group of adult wizards came and put out the flames.
I recognised a few which were my parents friends.
One of them, Remus Lupin, came hurrying over and put his arms around Sabine and I. Trying to comfort us. Saying everything would be alright.
But there was nothing that could help Sabine and I.
We had lost our home.
We'd lost our family.

We'd lost everything.

Three years later....

Sabine looked over her drawing book at Ezra as he closed the door behind him.

"Do I even want to know?" She asked timidly at the angry look on her brother's face.

"Miss Atama wants me to clean out the attic tomorrow" Ezra replied flopping onto his bed.

"Ezra, you did set her hair on fire by just clicking your fingers" Sabine pointed out.

"I didn't mean to do it on purpose!" Ezra exclaimed.

"She was being a down right cow!"

"What did she say this time?" Sabine sighed putting her book aside.

"She insulted our parents. Said we were just as bad as them. Selfish, arrogant. Said we were nothing but problems."

Ezra sighed misreabley and uncurled his hands which were balled into tight fists.

"I miss mum and dad" be whispered.

"They never would have treated us like this."

Sabine stood up, walked over to Ezra, and sat beside him.

"I miss them too, but we can't bring them back. This is our home now until we get adopted or until we go to Hogwarts."

"I know. That's what bothers me" Ezra sighed and sat up.

Sabine put her arms round Ezra, who put a hand on hers.
It had been three years since their parents murder by a Death Eater.
Lupin decided it was best if Sabine and Ezra were taken to an orphanage until they were old enough to go to Hogwarts. A school for wizards and witches.
Ezra and Sabine had strong magic blood and had their names down on the list since they were born.
The Bridger siblings tried to get them to change their minds. Get them to take them in, but the descion had already been made.
And Lupin absolutely refused to look after them. As soon as they asked, he declined immediately.
The reason why was beyond them.

Now here they were. In Miss Atama's orphanage.
They were both now seven years old, and were the only children there. There used to be four other orphans, but they got adopted a few months ago. Now Ezra and Sabine were the last children.
Another reason why Lupin said to put them there, was because it was another way to hide them from Death Eaters. They would find out eventually that the Bridger siblings had survived, and would definitely be out to kill them.
They would naturally assume that the friends of Fawn and Caleb Bridger had taken the kids in as a favour to them.
So now, Ezra and Sabine were stuck in the orphanage building, with the headmistress Miss Atama.

Miss Atama was a strict, mean, and abusive person. She saw Ezra and Sabine as not children, but her servants.
And the two Bridger siblings couldn't do a thing about it.
From dusk to dawn they cleaned up round the orphanage for her. They weren't even allowed outside for two minutes. The only time they were, was to either throw out the scraps or to put the rubbish in the bins.
Miss Atama didn't even let them go to school. The two kids had taught themselves how to read, write and do the best math they could with the books lying around.
The one thing that they hated the most was when Miss Atama forced them to cook.
Sure they could do it, but they normally didn't want to.
Half the time in the kitchen, they got burned and cut by either the cutlery, or stove.
Miss Atama never tended to their injury's. Always told them to get over it and move on.
The Bridger siblings hated the woman with all their hearts.
And they couldn't even write to Lupin or anyone for help because Miss Atama had banned it.
They had tried once, and their whip marks lasted a month.
They learned that day not to underestimate the headmistress or do things she told them not to.

The only time they had to themselves, was the night.
There they acted like normal seven year olds would.
Talk, joke, and laugh like there was nothing wrong with the world.

Miss Atama was very well aware of the Bridger siblings magic blood. And being a Squib, she wanted the magic to be destroyed. That's exactly why she put them to work all the time. To try to squash it out of them.
And so far, she was failing very badly.

The only item the Bridger's were able to save from the burning house was the Firebolt that saved their lives.
Miss Atama was going to burn it, but changed her mind when Sabine and Ezra promised they would do anything she asked if she didn't.
So it was locked in a cupboard with six pick proof padlocks to stop them from getting it back.

Ezra looked at the wooden floorboards, lost in thought.
Neither of the siblings spoke for a long time.

"Do you think we'll ever be adopted?" Sabine asked softly.

"I hope so. Another month living with the old bat will drive me insane" Ezra replied.

Suddenly the door banged open.
Sabine and Ezra jumped in surprise.
Miss Atama stood there, glaring sternly at the Bridgers.
Bertha Atama was a forty year old woman with jet black hair, sharp cold eyes, unusually long finger nails, and tight lips.
One look at her, and anyone would assume she was a ghastly, horrid witch.
She always smelled heavily of sickening perfume.

"Miss Atama" Sabine greeted standing.

"Is there something you need us to do?"

The woman looked at the two children with disgust.

"You tell me. I told you Sabine, to toss out the scraps three hours ago, and you still haven't done it. And you Ezra. I changed my mind. You can start cleaning the attic now."

"But Miss...." Ezra began

"No excuses and no whining. You're both seven years old. Stop acting like you own the place."

Then she spun on her heel, and strutted out the door.
Sabine and Ezra stared after her.

"Wil our misery ever end?" Ezra growled at Sabine.

"I'll see you at dinner" Sabine sighed going out of the room.

Ezra followed.

Feeling like a lost boy in a unforgiving world.

I feel sad for Ezra and Sabine. I've pretty much mixed A series of unfortunate events and Harry Potter together.
Have I created a sad chapter or not?! But trust me, this will get better. 😁
Give me some suggestions and I'll try to do some!

Star-Wars-Dragons out 🐲