Chapter 10 - The Royal Ball

Kyla's P.O.V.

All drama starts at the breakfast table.

This sentence was very apt today. 

I had insisted Elsie have breakfast with me. The king and queen didn't seem to have any problem with this. In fact, they recognized Elsie, since she had been in the palace since she was a kid. Also, her parents were well known healers in the palace.

It was the fuming man sitting opposite me, who was causing the negative aura to spread across the room.

Nikos didn't seem to like the fact that I had asked Elsie to sit next to me. He had a bad-tempered expression etched on his face throughout breakfast.

See if I care. 

I shoved food in my mouth and pretended to have a huge appetite. It was tasting like paper.... Beside me, I could feel Elsie fidgeting. I felt bad for pulling her into this situation. She had obviously nothing to do with the bad relationship between me and Nikos. 

I hoped that the breakfast everyday wouldn't be this tense. Maybe I could sleep in late from tomorrow. I had never slept in through breakfast before, but I had read this in books.

Would this mean that Nikos would also skip breakfast like me and sleep late? I shot a furtive glance at him. His penetrating eyes were directed towards me.

I immediately looked back at my plate and shoved another spoonful of food in my mouth.

Crap..... why did the palace food taste like paper?

 Nikos' P.O.V.

My palace always had the best chefs employed to prepare food. Yet, since yesterday, the food has been tasting like paper. I had a good mind to fire a few people in the kitchen staff.

Yet, my mate, sitting across me, seemed to be enjoying her breakfast. 

I had flipped out when she had insisted that her weird friend 'Elsie' - something sit beside her.  I was forced to sit in the seat across her.

Grudgingly, I admitted to myself that this view also wasn't so bad.

My mom looked towards me, "Nikos, We will have to hold a Royal Ball to welcome Kyla into our family and introduce her as the crown princess. The faster, the better." She turned towards Kyla, "Sweetheart, do you have any day in mind?"

Kyla looked confused, "Royal Ball?", she looked enquiringly at me.

"Yup", I replied, "It's a custom in our family to introduce a mate once found...."

"Let's keep it the day after tomorrow, Mother",I told firmly while still looking at my mate. She still looked confused. "So soon?", my mother looked worriedly at Kyla, "But I don't think Kyla is rea..."

"You told me the sooner, the better. Right, mother?", I interrupted her. "Kyla is okay with it", I said looking at my mate.

"Mmm", she nodded confused.

I smiled inwardly to myself.

She didn't know the significance of the Royal Ball. And I plan to make sure that she doesn't realize it till the opportune moment where she has to accept me as her mate in front of the whole werewolf community.