0.1

Storming into Ashton's apartment, I throw my book bag next to the pile of boots and sneakers beside the door. Slamming the door and walking into the kitchen, I grab a juice-box before plopping down on the couch with a huff.

"Well good afternoon sunshine," Ashton turned to look at me, an amused smile forming.

I kick off my shoes, crossing my legs and arms with a frown. I come here so often it didn't take me long to feel at home.

"Hi Ash," I grumble. He smirks, turning down the cartoon he was watching.

"Why so sad Madeline?" Ashton rests his chin on his hand, turning to look at me like a therapist would look at their patient. I grimace at his use of my full name. "Please, enlighten me," he holds back a giggle.

"You're not funny," I stick my tongue out, but I could feet a smile tugging at my lips.

"Sorry Madds," He pokes my cheek, making my smile break through. "That's better, that's what I like to see!" Ashton giggles, resting his head back against the couch.

I sigh, resting back next to him, laying my feet across his lap making Ashton shoot me a smile. His smile was my sweet escape, my reason to forget about the problems tugging at my mind. He has always had that effect on me. We are the kind of best friends who just know each other to the point that we didn't even have to speak, we just know. Ash was like the brother I never had.

"So really, what is today's problem in the secret life of an American nerd?" Ashton laughs, his dimples appearing. "Let me guess, you got an A-? The library was closed after school?"

I roll my eyes, giving him a small kick where my legs are resting over his. "Worse," I groan. "I got a B on my test because I forgot to study last night. Do you know why I forgot to study Ash?" I raise my eyebrows at him.

"Why?" He teases, biting his lip to contain his giggles.

"Because I was over here having a movie marathon with you!" I give him another kick, making him grab my legs. I could feel the vibrations of his taunting laughter through the couch.

"Let me tell you something Madds," Ashton swings his head in my direction. "You are officially too smart."

"No," I shake my finger at him. "I am officially done trying to have fun."

Ashton shook his head, his laughter continuing, "You've never even had real fun," he teases me. "This is why I don't go to school, it ruins the creative process and turns everyone into mind drones."

"I do too know how to have fun," I cross my arms, grabbing the bag of gummy bears off of the table and eating one. Ashton opens his mouth, catching the little green bear I throw at him.

"If you say so," he drums his hands against my legs in rhythm. "Prove it."

"How?" I raise my eyebrows, waiting for him to make me build a fort with him, or some other childish game.

"Simple." Ashton gives me a sly grin, leaning forward to intensify his gaze. "Come over tomorrow to meet the band."

That is not what I was expecting.

"Ash, I-"

"No excuses! It will be a Friday so you have plenty of more time over the weekend to do your nerdy brain things!" He pouts, staring up at me. "Come on, it's been almost a year now, you can't avoid them forever."

I had been friends with Ashton for almost four years now, this whole band thing was just picking up its importance. Ever since he dropped out of school he has been with those boys. The boys that I wasn't exactly ready to meet. You see, boys in bands were normally 'cool' and Ashton says they're all 'punk'. I mean Ashton was easy enough to talk too, but I had a feeling these boys would be different.

Ashton gave me a nudge, looking at me hopefully.

"Fine," I breathe, picking at my nails nervously.

My mother already hated my hanging around with Ash. She had this 'prim and properness' about her. She believed in perfection, high standards that I constantly fell short off. She was blind to the fact that Ashton was the only thing that made me truly happy these days. 

Ashton clapped excitedly, bouncing on the couch. "I knew you would come around."

"If you say so," I tease him, pushing myself up off of the couch to grab my book bag. I took out my homework, making Ashton chuckle and give him only more reasons to make fun of me. I rested my books on my lap, as Ashton turned back up his cartoon.

By the time I had to leave for dinner I had one problem done, and a stomachache from laughing.

"See you tomorrow Madds," Ashton waved to me from the couch.

"Mhmm," I reach for the door, giving him a half-wave.

"It will be fun, believe me."

I wasn't sure if I believed him just yet. Belief is a tricky thing. Belief leads to high hopes, it leads to dreams, it leads to certainty in the uncertain. Too much belief leads to brokenness. The struggle of life was to find the balance of belief.

Tomorrow would be a lot more important than I ever would have believed.

Welcome to my first story, if you are reading this that means that I love you.

The first few chapters are a bit rough, but I swear it gets good(:

-Maddie