Chapter 11 - The Royal Ball 2

"Day after tomorrow???", the king muttered exasperatedly to his mate, "We need to push the date back somehow... What made you even mention the Ball to him?"

"I didn't realize that he would want it to be held so soon", the queen replied.

"It's Nikos!!! Patience is not one of his many virtues", bit back the king. He massaged his forehead to ease the worry lines. His mate hated to see him like this. And this time, she had brought this on him. She walked towards him and placed her hands on his tense shoulders.

"It can't be that bad, Honey...., is it?", she asked unsure.

"The people call her 'The Assassin Mate', 'The Queen of Death'. We may be ready to welcome her as family, but the people are furious", told the king sadly, "We should give them more time to adjust to this. But it wouldn't be possible to convince Nikos now, would it?"

"Sorry", his mate replied apologetically, "I didn't think so far... What do we do now?"

Both of them knew that convincing their son to change his mind would be near to impossible.

Daniel, his chief adviser stepped forward. "Since the date for the Royal Ball cannot be changed, how about we filter out the crowd this time? Invite only the Alphas and their families. Keep it grand, but low profile and high security?", he suggested to the king.

The king thought through this suggestion. "Not bad. This way we know the attendees and keep a close check to make sure that no one harms anyone", he muttered to himself. The queen who was standing next to him, heard this and looked at him angrily, "She is your son's mate. Stop assuming the worst of her. If we do that, what can we expect from the other's?", she whispered to him. 

She was very annoyed at her mate. He seemed to be hell-bent in thinking that Kyla was dangerous and would suddenly decide to go on a killing spree. 

The king stood up from his chair with determination. "Tell the staff to prepare for the Royal Ball to be held the day after tomorrow", he ordered, "Daniel, invite only the Alpha families. We will keep this a closed ceremony as you suggested. I'll look into all the security measures, personally. I don't want anyone to be hurt on this day."

He looked around, just in time to see his annoyed mate walking away.

Nina's P.O.V.

Annoyed, was an understatement. She was irritated, angry , displeased at her mate. 

The queen nodded to herself. Yes, she was displeased that the king thought so badly of Kyla. 

And then there was Nikos......, her stubborn son. Her son, who was dragging his clueless mate, into a Ball, whose implications Kyla was not aware of. And, she was sure Nikos would try to keep it that way.

She was annoyed with both the royal males today. 

She felt an odd feeling of pity welling up for the little girl who had been pulled into this world. She barely knew Kyla, that too, only from across the breakfast table. And that girl, always, always, annoyingly kept a straight face. But yet, looking at her, her frail figure and quiet presence somehow brought out her motherly, protective feelings from within her. 

Maybe that was her lethal charm? Was that her way of getting people to warm up to her and then attack? 

She stopped suddenly. Wait.... what was she thinking? She was letting the rumors affect her. 

Kyla was her son's mate. The future Queen of this kingdom. And from now on, her daughter. Regardless, of what other's may think of her, she will only see the good in her.

And right now, it was her duty to tell Kyla of what holding this Royal Ball meant.