prologue

I knew two things.

One of them was the fact that I was buried alive considering the fact that I just had to dig myself out of my own grave. The second thing was that it was in the middle of the night.

That's all I knew. I didn't know who I was. I didn't know where I was. I was scared, the lack of knowledge making my heart beat fast. That feeling, my heart beating hard against my chest, felt foreign. And breathing was hard. I had to concentrate on it, as if it was a task, or else I felt myself go dizzy and my chest tightened.

I was thirsty too. And hungry. The growling of my stomach could easily be mistaken for an earthquake.

All I wanted that moment was to find someone to help me. Someone who could direct me in the right direction. But the deserted streets showed no sign of anyone being alive. Had I miraculously survived a zombie apocalypse? The thought was strange. My mind was having a hard time registering that I knew what zombies were, but not my own identity.

I spotted someone walking ahead of me. I let out a loud sigh of relief and ran over to the stranger. "Please, help!" I called when they started walking faster, clearly freaked out by the sound of running after them. The person stopped and turned around, conveniently right under a street light. I saw that it was a young girl, not a day over twenty. Her brown hair went down to her waist and she had the most beautiful set of blue eyes I had ever seen. Not that I had anyone to compare them with, really.

The stranger noticed the state she was in and hurried over. "What's wrong?" She asked, her voice showing nothing but kindness.

"I- I don't know who I am. Or where, for that matter," she said.

With sympathy written all over the girl's face, she reached towards me. "I'm Davina, you're in New Orleans and you're safe with me," she reassured. I looked at her and saw nothing but sincerity in her eyes. Slowly, I nodded and gestured for Davina to continue talking. "I'm taking you back to my place, you can explain what happened on the way, and then I'm taking you to a friend who will know what to do."

"Okay," I nodded. "I can live with that." Davina started walking and I followed her. On the way, I explained that I woke up in a grave and told her with as few details as possible how I got myself out. She bandaged my bleeding knuckles when we got to her home. She was even kind enough to give me clothes and food after a quick shower.

"Thank you for everything, really. I have no idea how I can repay you," I thanked Davina when she showed me to her guest bedroom. Davina smiled, and I had a feeling she didn't know what to say.

"Until we find out your real name, what should I call you?" Davina asked, leaning on the open door. I looked in the mirror when she asked me that. What was my name? I saw a red rose on the vanity and made a quick decision. 

"Call me Rose."