A Little More Pain

Chapter 46 –Claire's POV– A Little More Pain

"Rhysian," Claire sobbed against his chest as he carried her into the lab, "I can't lose him again!"

"Shhh, Bebe'...you will not lose him. He has fought for 350 years to be with you. There isn't anything he wouldn't do to make that happen."

With a jolt, Claire's equilibrium was thrown off, as Rhysian unexpectedly flipped her over his shoulder. She landed on her feet behind him, stunned by his behavior. She recognized his aggressive posture immediately...He was all predator now...Furious growls ripping from his chest. In a split second, Claire realized why. Her eyes grew wide with fear as she looked up to see Anwyn step through a portal.

"No!" she exhaled sharply.

Rhysian was not the predator.

They were both the prey.

"Aw...Come now, pet. You can't really tell me that you're surprised to see me?" Anwyn pouted, taking a step in Claire's direction.

Rhysian shifted his weight, his muscles coiled to spring, menacing vibrations echoing out from his chest.

"Down boy," Anwyn scolded him with her finger, like he was a stray puppy, not a hundred and eighty pound immortal creature, hell-bent on getting in her way.

Claire grabbed the back of Rhysian's shirt, trying to warn him. She had no idea if he knew how calculating and lethal Anwyn really was.

Rhysian held back from attacking.

Anwyn smiled, "Oh look...The pet has her own pet." She appraised Claire, "Well done. What do you call him?"

Claire bristled at her implication, "I call him my friend."

"Oh no...I don't think so..." Anwyn drawled, her eyes gleaming, "I think you call him Rhy. Or wait! Is daddy a better word?"

Claire's stomach turned over. This was far worse than she thought. "How do you know that?" she breathed.

Anwyn ignored her question. Instead, she lithely strolled to the side, moving with feline grace, to get a better look at Claire. Rhysian tracked her movements with his body, keeping Claire tucked behind him. Anwyn sighed loudly and addressed Rhysian in a tone that one would use to teach simple concepts to small children, "That won't help you. I will kill you. And when I am done, I will put her out of my misery. It just might take me a bit longer." She smiled in dark anticipation.

Claire shook and tried once more to make sense of what was happening. "Why are you here?" she pressed, surprised that her voice did not crack and betray the barely marginal grip she had on her mounting hysteria.

"Again, is it not obvious? Must I explain everything?!" Anwyn rolled her eyes.

When Claire didn't respond, Anwyn let out a breath and clucked impatiently, "I can't have you dropping in unexpectedly again. Not after we just got back together."

Claire cringed at the reminder of Myrnin's new relationship.

Anwyn eyed Claire's response speculatively, and then continued with a malicious smile, "You know...I was hesitant to take him back at first. But when he begged me to trust him, I just found myself giving in. He can be very persuasive," she winked suggestively. "You know I had forgotten what a giving sexual partner he is. And the way his tongue moves," Anwyn purred, licking her lips, letting Claire's imagination fill in where her words left off.

Claire blinked in pain, as she put the pieces together. Anwyn was trying - and succeeding - at torturing Claire with her sexual exploits of Myrnin.