Rage

Chapter 47 –Claire's POV– Rage

"Rhysian?" Claire whispered.

He opened his eyes, "Bebe'..." he began.

"Don't call me that," she interrupted him, her voice breaking in devastation.

His face contorted in pain. "Of course," he agreed, taking a minute to compose himself before he continued. "I won't lie to you. I did...come here for that reason. I did it because I loved him as a brother...and I watched him for over a hundred years...struggle..." his voice trailed off as emotion overtook him again, "...without you. You were the only thing he has ever wanted."

"But, then I met you. We spent so much time together, and I grew to love you as my own child. I swear to you...I never lied...about my feelings for you."

Claire's chest shook with silent sobs as tears crested her eyelashes and washed down her cheeks. Rhysian stopped, his expression stricken, as he watched the pain of his betrayal, evident in her features.

He began again, "I watched you...break into a million pieces every day, because of your love for him." He nodded toward Myrnin, who was still standing, ready to end his life. "It was then that I knew...that no matter what happened, I would never...could never...hurt you like that. I am so, so sorry," he hung his head as he finished.

Claire caught her breath and whispered to Myrnin, "Let him down."

"What?" Myrnin hissed.

"I believe him," she spoke quietly, "Let him down."

When Myrnin didn't move, she looked at him, anger and frustration filling her features, "You don't need me to tell you he is speaking the truth. I know it because I know him...he kept me alive. But you know it because you can feel it. Now, let him down or I will do it myself."

Without a word, Myrnin jerked the dagger from his chest and Rhysian fell to the floor next to Claire.

Claire shifted to the side slightly, so that she could reach him; a small moan escaping her lips at the effort.

Myrnin reached his hands out toward her and she stopped him with a look. He pulled back in surprise, hurt flashing over his features, before composing himself into a hardened expression.

She touched Rhysian's arm and spoke softly, "I do believe you."

He looked up at her with tears in his eyes. "I am so...sorry...for hurting you," he whispered.

"I know," Claire laid her head on his shoulder, careful not to move her arms.

"I love you, Bebe'," his words came out broken with emotion, at her forgiveness.

"I know," she simply whispered again.

Abruptly, the door to the lab slammed opened with a shattering bang as 1409 Myrnin charged through. Claire jumped, startled at the sudden loud noise, and then sat in utter silence as she saw them face each other for the first time. Both were immediately ready to fight. Claire felt the air in the room charge with electricity, at the devastation of emotion, rolling off of both of them.

His eyes were wild as he assessed the situation: her on the floor bleeding...Rhysian next to her, healing but covered in blood...and her Myrnin standing over them menacingly.

Claire felt him invade her mind, almost violently, and gasped at the onslaught. She knew he wasn't compelling her, so he must be gathering the details of what just happened. She heard him hiss furiously as he 'watched' what had transpired with Anwyn.