My Choice Was You

Chapter 58 – Claire's POV - My Choice Was You

Claire struggled to take it all in. Struggled to believe that their nightmare was finally over! And struggled to believe that she no longer had to choose. They would all be happy, now that Adrianna was here.

And in some weird twisted turn of events, she had Anwyn to thank for that. If Anwyn had not forced her into the time portal, Claire knew she never would have risked it on her own. Her deathly fear of the time portal had been overwhelming. What a radical change to now. Now, she had absolute certainty in her skill to navigate it successfully. Of course, that didn't mean she had any desire to press her luck. The time portal still presented the challenge of lost memories and the extreme complication of splitting other people's consciousness, so she had no intention to jump back into it anytime soon.

Claire turned her attention away from Adrianna. She needed to find Eve, but there were too many people crowded into the room, blocking her view. Claire pushed back the panic that licked at the edges of her mind. She had seen Eve – alive – just moments before Amelie arrived. She had to be okay, Claire thought fiercely, trying to force the universe to bend to her will.

Suddenly, her heart wrenched in her chest as she watched Michael shove his way through Amelie's guards, only to stop short, his expression haunted when he saw the body of his wife, dead on the floor in a pile of blood, her throat slit. And then his gaze shifted to utter confusion, when the Eve that Claire had brought back with her, bolted from behind the silver cage and hurled herself into his arms. Michael's shoulders shook with raw emotion. Tears freely flowed from his eyes as he desperately clutched Eve to his chest. Claire couldn't hear the words, but she knew Eve well enough to know, that Eve was whispering fervently in his ear, promising him she was okay – that they were okay.

Now that she knew Eve and Adrianna were both taken care of, Claire exhaled sharply. But her brief second of calm was stripped away by the knowledge of what she had to do next.

She knew Myrnin was by her side. She had heard him uttering an almost constant stream of comforting syllables. But she hadn't dared to look at him until she could fully let go of her concern for her friend and new sister. Because once she did look into Myrnin's eyes, she knew the force of emotion was going to devastate her frail senses.

She brought her eyes up slowly to meet his.

He was crouched over her body murmuring words of love, but Claire realized with a shock that his irises still blazed crimson. He was still ravenously hungry and she was still losing blood from the deep gash in her shoulder! Claire stared at him with wide eyes, unsure what to do or say next.

Suddenly, 1409 Myrnin and Adrianna were crouched next to them. 1409 Myrnin spoke quietly to Myrnin, "Let us help you."

Myrnin eyes flashed wildly in anger. He hissed, "I won't hurt her!"

"I know..." 1409 Myrnin murmured soothingly, without a trace of insincerity.

Myrnin's head snapped to the side, when he felt Adrianna reach for his hand. She squeezed it gently and said, "You need blood. Amelie is opening a portal for us to go back to the lab. Let him care for her. He will keep her safe for you. Come..." she promised, as she tugged lightly.

Myrnin looked back at Claire, conflict still raging in his expression. She could tell he was fighting against every instinct in his body, which insisted he never let her go again. She nodded her head, to reassure him she would be okay. Reluctantly, he stood and let Adrianna pull him through the waiting portal.

1409 Myrnin glanced to Rhysian, who was settled on Claire's other side now, "Could you tear a strip from your shirt? I'd offer mine, but I think yours is the far cleaner option."