20. Know Where To Look

THE WORLD SEEMED to be half-asleep when Ravenna emerged from the house

THE WORLD SEEMED to be half-asleep when Ravenna emerged from the house. A guard strolled along the streets, his mouth stretched around a yawn. The houses that surrounded her seemed barren, with their darkened windows and lack of movement. As she entered the main part of town, the market was quiet. A few vendors were outside, preparing their stations. Some waved hello to her as she passed.

The tavern itself seemed quiet. As she approached, her stomach started to twist into knots. She opened the door and stepped inside. The bar was mostly empty, with only a few customers scattered about the tables. Vyses stood behind the counter, preparing several mugs of mead.

He looked up as she approached the bar and his eyes widened. A mixture of surprise and suspicion swam within his irises. "Ravenna?"

She stopped in front of the counter and sort of smiled awkwardly. "Hello. Good morning," she said.

He blinked. "Good morning," he repeated. His expression became more guarded. "How can I help you?"

She slid onto the bar stool. "Oh, so now that I'm not staying here I can't come visit with a friend?"

His expression seemed to melt. It twisted into a childish pout, and Vyses continued to prepare the drinks in his hands. "I didn't say that," he muttered, somewhat under his breath. Then he turned to her and said, louder, "I'm glad you're here. I'm just surprised that you actually came."

She shrugged. "Of course I did. I didn't plan on staying away forever," she reassured him. Despite the ghost girl, and her weird feelings, she did miss talking to Vyses. She also decided to forgive and forget about the night she'd been drunk. "And today held the perfect opportunity. Caelan is busy with an advanced spell. I can't help him. My only other option is to study spells again, and if I have stare at another spell book I will lose my mind."

Vyses clicked his tongue. His wine eyes flashed and narrowed. He plucked a mug from the counter and held it in front of a barrel of ale. His fingers curled around the barrel's tab, but nothing spilled from the nozzle. "What kind of spell is it?" he asked.

Ravenna took a moment to respond. She wasn't sure whether Caelan wanted his spell advertised around yet. The wrong person could overhear, and attempt to take the spell or try it themselves. She gestured toward the drink that he was preparing and said, "I'll take one."

He arched an eyebrow. He slid the drink in his hands to another patron and grabbed another glass. She watched as the patron caught the drink, and then slunk off toward a table near the back of the tavern. "I'm not sure exactly what kind of spell it is," she lied. "He didn't go into details about what it did."

"Did you happen to see any of the ingredients?"

She tapped her fingers against the counter top. "There was a white powder, but I'm not sure what it was. It looked almost like flour. Why do you ask?"

He poured her drink. It frothed over the brim of the glass, dripping toward the floor. He set it down on the counter in front of her. "I'm just curious. It's been a while since I've heard about his spells. The last time Caelan was in town, he was working on something big."

"Something big?"

He eyed her. "It was some sort of creation spell. Last I heard, it had the ability to create a new lifeform, one that followed your ever whim."

Ravenna pursed her lips. "Did he ever finish it?"

Vyses shook his head. "Someone attempted to steal it," he said. His eyes shifted around the tavern, and the expression vanished from his face. Stoically, he added, "It was someone close. A student, I think. He left the town after that. I never heard anything else about it."

She blinked. No wonder he'd stayed in that little shack. It was secluded, and pretty well hidden compared to the main house. Her index finger traced the rim of the mug, pushing the frothy bubbles aside. She lifted it to her mouth and took a swig. The alcohol burned down her throat. "That would explain why he seems so distant," she muttered under her breath.

"How did you meet him?" Vyses asked.

She pressed her lips together. The memory made her laugh almost. "I had heard about some sort of ice dragon, freezing people in the mountains. I was trying to find it when I stumbled upon Caelan."

His eyebrows pinched together. He looked at her as if she were somewhat crazy. "You willingly sought out an ice dragon?"

"I thought it might be able to help me," she said. Her stomach twisted nervously. She'd never outright used her powers in front of Vyses, not on purpose. Yet she couldn't find a reason to hide it any longer. She concentrated and then lightly touched the side of the mug. Ice crawled from her fingertips toward the brim, enveloping the glass.

Vyses peered closer at the mug. He didn't seem surprised though. "You did that, just now?"

She nodded. "I can't really control it. I thought that an ice dragon might be able to help me out. That it might have some tips about controlling the ice. Something to help me get better at it."

"And you stumbled upon Caelan?"

Ravenna nodded again. "He turned into the dragon after I threatened to fight him. He ended taking me in as his apprentice."

"I see," Vyses said. Curiosity glimmered within his eyes. "What sort of spells has he taught you so far?"

She couldn't help but let an exasperated huff escape her. Her fingers traced the sides of the mug, and the ice began to melt. It soon completely vanished, evaporating into the air. "He hasn't taught any spells per say," she admitted. She took a sip of her drink and then pursed her lips. "Though I will say that I have learned a few after going through all those scrolls and spell books. Mostly basic spells that are easy to remember. Right now, he wants me to learn to be more observant."

"And that's why you came here," he said. His folded his arms across his chest and leaned against the counter. His head tilted slightly, and he eyed her intently. "You say that he hasn't really taught you much. Why do you still choose to study under him then?"

She blinked. "What do you mean?"

His eyebrow arched at her. "Caelan isn't the only one who knows magic in this world," he said. "There are plenty of others who possess the ability. Others who might be better teachers. You could always find another."

Ravenna stared at her mug. "I feel like he has a lot to offer," she said quietly. "And he has taught me some. Just not exactly the way that I thought he would. Plus, I'm not sure how to find another teacher. I haven't heard of anybody else practicing magic nearby."

"You just have to know where to look," Vyses said. She glanced up and met his gaze. He winked. "Most don't openly practice magic."

She frowned. "Oh?"

He shrugged and snagged a rag from behind the counter. He started to scrub at a spot on the counter. His gaze continued to hold hers, and a flash of crimson sparked across his irises. "If you decide that he isn't teaching you enough, or that you'd like to find another teacher, you know where to find me. Caelan isn't the only magical being in this town."

Dun, dun, duuuuuun! 

Dun, dun, duuuuuun! 

Thank you guys for being so patient with me! Your continued support is greatly appreciated! <3