15

With her husband at work, Lucy stayed at the compound with the others.

They were all in the family lounge. Some were playing cards, talking, eating, and all the random stuff that usually happens.

Lucy looked over the couples sitting on the tables.

Zeref brushing Mavis’ hair; Juvia clinging on to Gray; Gajeel teasing Levy as always; Elfman flirting with Evergreen- wait, when did that happen?

“Looks like someone’s jealous.”

A woman’s voice made Lucy look to her right. It was Cana, drinking booze beside her at the counter, giving her a sly smirk.

“I’m not jealous,” Lucy defended as she turned her body around and placed her elbows on the counter, facing Mira.

“Stop teasing her, Cana. It’s only normal for a wife to miss her man,” Mirajane said as she gave Lucy a look, making her blush.

“By the way, I don’t see Laxus anywhere,” the blond suddenly said.

“He’s at the company.” Mirajane answered smiling.

“Oh, right. Just like Erza”

“You know, if you’d like, we can go together and pick him up this afternoon when he’s done with work,” Mavis joined in on their conversation as she sat on the stool on Lucy’s left.

“If you’re planning to do that, someone has to accompany you,” Zeref said, walking over to them and standing beside his wife.

“That’s why I’m coming with her. I’ll protect you, Lucy!” Mavis beamed with confidence in her voice and determination in her eyes.

Mirajane and Cana giggled at her enthusiasm. Lucy’s face lit up with her idea.

“No, I won’t allow that,” Zeref said as he sighed.

“Why not?” Mavis turned to him, her face like that of a child who refused to give away her lollipop.

Cute.

“Because you’re a girl,” Zeref answered with a sweet smile.

Mavis was going to say something stubborn at him but he cut her off.

“That’s why I’m going with you.” He said.

Hearing this, she lit up brightly with a huge smile on her face.

Then Loki came over to them and asked to take Zeref for a moment to get his council about something. Business. So the two men left the ladies on the bar counter.

“I bet you just want to get out of the compound and see the city again huh, Mavis?” Cana said teasingly.

The girl’s face blushed hard.

“I-it’s not my fault that Zeref doesn’t let me go out very much!” Mavis defended herself and rushed after her husband. She knew Cana wouldn’t stop teasing her anytime soon.

“Zeref doesn’t let her go out?” Lucy wondered.

“Mhm. Let’s just say he’s a lot like Natsu,” Cana took another sip of her beer, “So overprotective. Brothers.”

Lucy nodded her head slowly, understanding what she meant.

“Let me tell you about something that happened when the two of them were still newlyweds,” Mirajane said with excitement.

“Here we go again,” Cana sighed but decided to let her go on with her story.

Lucy leaned closer on the counter with anticipation as she listened to the She-Devil.