Chapter 8

Personally, I think this is my fave chappie, in both this and The One FanFiction. Enjoy! Vote, comment, follow!

Chapter 8

The next few days were always the same. America would have nightmares every time she tried to sleep. Her terrified screams rang in my ears. I would try to console her and she would let me for a moment, before remembering that she was upset with me. Then, America would push me away.

For the rest of the day, she would sit there, a haunted look in her eyes. She only ever moved to eat, which was hardly ever, and to use the bathroom. I'd told her all the rules and how things worked here, but America hadn't even acknowledged that I was speaking, though she must've listened.

I was slowly going insane. It was almost too hard for me to stand listening to her cries at night. I would try to ignore it sometimes, hoping it would stop. America's whimpers never seemed to cease though. The only time she ever spoke to me was when I tried to comfort her. I would have a minute or so that she would allow me to hold her, that she would cling to me like I was the air she needed to breathe. Even though it was wrong, a part of me cherished those times. America was scared and upset, so she looked to me for comfort. It was the only time I felt like she didn't hate me like she'd said she did. Other than those brief moments, America's voice was absent from the room. I missed that voice of hers, sweet as honey and smooth as molasses.

Today was just like the day before, and the day before that. There was a silence that filled the cell, making me feel even more crazy. Despite the silence, there was a sort of buzzing in the air. It wasn't an actual buzzing sound. It was more like the sound of words that needed to be said, but were being held in. It was the pressure of things desperate to be spoken, inside of us and dying to be released.

"Who is she?" America said suddenly. I nearly jumped in surprise. A sigh of relief escaped me at the sound of her voice. Getting to my feet, I started to walk over. When I was in the middle of the room, she shot me a glare that stopped me in my tracks. It was a frigid and spiteful look. If I was going to make her love me again, I'd have to break through the icy wall she put up to protect herself. The only way to do that was to take a couple of risks.

I finished my journey to her side, readying myself for an act of retaliation as I took a seat on the ground next to her. America leaned into me, making my heart beat faster at how pleasantly familiar she felt. I put an arm around her shoulders, holding her delicate body to mine. There was a moment of quiet as I listened to America's breathing and felt her pounding heartbeat beneath my arm.

"Her name is Erika. She's the rebel leader's daughter. I was told to keep her happy or they would kill you."

She looked deeply into my eyes. I opened myself up and let all of my emotions show. I had nothing to hide. I let her see how much I needed her, that I missed Mother and Father dearly, how I missed my home. I let her see how scared I was by this whole ordeal. I wore my heart on my sleeve for America to see.

"I don't care if you would rather be dead than have me with another girl. I would rather be with another girl than having to go through life knowing I could have saved you. Saved the spark that lives in you. The spark that drew me to you. The spark that made me stay with you. Erika means nothing to me. I only care about you."

Her eyes revealed the war she was fighting inside. There was nothing I could do to make up for what I'd done, but she was trying to decide if I was worthy of forgiveness anyway. America always tried to see the best in me. I loved her for that.

"I'm sorry I said that I hate you," she apologized. "It's not true. I was just upset. It just hurt, you know? Do you forgive me?"

She didn't hate me. She didn't hate me! America had never stopped loving me! The realization made me want to do a backflip I was so overjoyed.

I tried to keep my cool, so I said smoothly, "If I said no, would you kiss me?" America smirked at me flirtatiously.

"Not a chance." I laughed and put my forehead against hers, her lips mere centimeters away.

"Well then, I guess I say yes," I remarked. The easiness of our relationship had returned with our playful comments.

America leaned in so our mouths almost touched. Electricity seemed to crackle in the air. She was like a magnet, pulling me in and in until we touched, but I fought against her allure. America had to make the first move, to prove she'd really forgiven me. Her lips brushed mine. Heat spread through my body, a beautiful feeling settling in my heart. She pulled away, leaving me aching for more. I leaned in again, craving to kiss her again, knowing that she was the only person who could make me feel this way. America's slender finger went to my lips.

"Nope. That's all you get," she whispered teasingly. I looked at her questioningly and gently removed her finger. I tried to lean back in, but she jumped to her feet, giggling mischievously. "No, Maxon. I was serious. You're done for now."

My mouth formed a pout, probably making me look like a child who'd just lost their favorite toy. "But that's not fair. You can't do that and expect to get away so easily."

I got to my feet as well and pulled her against me. My head dipped as I tried to reach her lips. America almost let me kiss her, and then moved away at the very last moment. She put her back against the cell wall.

"All's fair in love and war, Maxon."

I went up to her, putting my hands on both sides of her head. She was so close I could hear her pulse, beating as fast as a hummingbird's. My eyes locked onto her lips, pink and perfect. America was making my head spin and she was just plain dizzying.

"You're driving me insane, you know that, America?" I murmured, my want heavy in my voice. She nodded slowly, staring at me quietly.

We stayed there until neither of us could stand the distance for a second longer. If the world had cracked in half, it wouldn't have had as big of an effect on me as America did. I lost all sense of where I was. The only thing my mind registered was how amazing she felt. She kissed me roughly and let out a pleasured moan. Her knees buckled and my arms snaked around her waist, pulling her even closer. America wrapped her arms around my neck, her fingers tugging at my hair. Her sweet scent was bewitching and all of my thoughts revolved around this girl in my arms. My heartbeat was racing.

Water ran down her cheeks and I reluctantly broke away from the kiss. Tears streamed from her eyes, which were closed and trying to keep the tears inside. My hand went to her face, which was hot and flushed. "What's wrong, love?" I asked, watching America carefully.

"We need to go home."

She didn't know how true that was. It'd been so long since I'd been home. I missed the palace horribly.

"I know."