Chapter 29

Kate's brows furrowed in confusion. "Victor? Why're you back again...," she trailed off, her eyes finally finding the suitcases he'd apparently brought along with him.

"Since you refused to stay at my place, I decided that I would stay at yours," Victor winked, smirking as he walked past her and inside the apartment.

Kate's mouth fell open and stayed like that as she whirled around to see Victor's retreating figure striding inside her home.

Unbelievable!

Victor had dropped her off just a little while ago without any more demand to have her stay at his place. Not to mention, he had carried her all the way up and only let her go when she was comfortably sitting on the sofa in her living room. Kate had to agree that it was quite suspicious that he left without a normal goodbye - the one where characteristically he would've told her endless times how to take care of herself, about medicines and all, and call him if anything went wrong. She should have known that the guy had a plan going on.

"Victor!" she shrieked, incredulous. Her feet, with lethargy, followed him. "I told you I'll be fine on my own. I'll take care of myself."

Victor kept his suitcase next to the sofa, then turned to face her with an indignant look. "I know, but I am unwilling to take a risk. Because when last time I went away for a few days, you ended up almost dying in a hospital," pausing, he took a slow breath as if to shake off the bad memory physically, and then his face lit up with the next words. "So I decided that I would take it upon myself to make sure that your health is restored."

"You mean to say you're my self-appointed nurse now?" Kate asked. Just like always, Victor's caring nature touched her heart.

"You got it right," he grinned. "Now, let's cook you some chicken broth."

--

"What do you mean by you sent the divorce papers to my attorney ?! How could you! And that too without asking me." Alex couldn't help but scream in outrage.

His mother shook in deep sobs in front of him. But he was past, knowing how to control his anger. Whatever was left of the ground beneath his feet was quickly slipping away, and he found he was unable to hold steady, fearing there would be nothing left of his sanity.

"Kate gave them to me at the engagement party before she left. I...," Tamara breathed through her mouth, feeling quite helpless herself. "I had yet to know the truth - we had yet to know the truth. So I got your manager and had the papers sent immediately..."

"God damn it!" Alex grunted, cutting in. Not waiting to hear anymore, he whirled around and stormed out of the room.

This was hell. He was in hell, and it seemed like the devil had taken it upon himself to punish him in the proper ways he saw fit. Each one of his actions in the past was now coming back to bite him square in the ass, and he was in an impenetrable maze trying to find a way out.

He stopped only after reaching outside, under the open sky. With frightening chains tightening around his heart, he dropped down onto a bench by the pavement. His eyes squeezed closed as the realization dawned upon him, there was only one way now, and that way could never be without Kate.

--