Chapter 15

A few hours later, I sit up straight in my seat as I spot the university from the car window. Moments later, we are dropped off in the car park and begin walking the short distance towards the entrance.

At the door we are greeted by two groups of people who look to be teachers dressed in formal attire. They are each responsible for handing out champagne and directing people to their tables. I refuse the offering as I have already had a glass and do not plan on making a fool of myself on an empty stomach.

"Table six please," Michael says, showing one woman his ticket.

"Right this way," she smiles.

Jane and I share a knowing look before we are each go our separate ways.

The disappointment of being separated from my sister is short lived as I take in my surroundings. We enter a vast hall surrounded by large and decorated tables, with the centre presumably empty for dancing and with a DJ set up on a stage. A huge, beautiful chandelier hangs from the ceiling and the furnishings are nothing short of glamorous, resembling the inside of a grand hotel.

"Wow," is all I can utter in amazement.

"Great, isn't it? They're been working on it all week," Michael proudly replies.

Once we reach our table, Michael introduces me to his friends who appear friendly enough but a bit strange like himself. However, I can think of worse company and the initial part of the evening passes without any awkwardness.

After we are served three delicious courses of choice from the menu, hoards of people take to the dance floor. My heart drops when everyone at my table stands up, while I debate whether or not to.

"Eliza, are you coming?" Michael questions.

"Oh no, I'm ok thanks, not in these heels," I joke. I can think of nothing worse than dancing with a group of people who I barely know.

He doesn't see any humour in my reply and turns away. From what I've observed he seems self-entitled and functions mainly on seeking attention from others. My thoughts are proved right as I spot him eyeing up countless girls across the hall and trying to show off in front of them.

I look away in disapproval and feel very exposed sitting by myself. I can see Jane's table from a short distance away and am tempted to go over but I fear I'll be interrupting. Thankfully, I spot Jane and Charles talking amongst themselves and sneak over to them.

"Eliza," Charles smiles as soon as he sees me. "Feel free to join us."

"Oh, only if that's ok," I respond, feeling embarrassed as I don't want to intrude.

"Oh course," he replies and gets me a chair which he puts next to Jane.

I breath a sign of relief as I sit down and converse with them both, ignoring the familiar stare of William from my right. I noticed him when I was walking over and can't help but admit that he looks extremely handsome in his tux, to which I harshly rebuke myself.

During an in depth discussion, we are interrupted by the DJ's announcement.

"Right, everyone grab your date or a partner and come onto the dance floor. It's a ball after all, no excuses," he states to cheers and some groans from people.

"Great," I mutter to Jane as we all stand.

I reluctantly look for Michael as I notice people around me pairing up but have no luck. He's probably found someone else already. I discretely glance around the table and stop dead in my tracks as I realise that William is without a date.

Oh no, I panic, frantically searching around the room for the quickest exit. However, I am too late as William is already making his way over to me.

"Will you dance with me, Eliza?"

A/N: Thank you so much for 3k reads!!!! And for your votes❤️ P.S: I have no idea if Cambridge really have an extravagant ballroom😝