Chapter 9: For your safety only

I hurried my way to the fields in a very cold afternoon of autumn. The wind was strong so I had to make an effort and run faster in order not to arrive so late to practice. I had delayed working on a project with Paul and didn't realize time flew indeed way too fast. By the time I checked my watch I saw I only had a few minutes to make it on time I ran past my tutor and said my goodbyes until tomorrow. Probably he was left with a shocked expression and I'd be scolded for my rudeness the day after, if not tonight if he calls me.

"Damn it" I panted as I entered to the fields and saw all my teammates already running to death.

I groaned as I carelessly threw my backpack away and ran to where Carl was.

"Hey Carl. Sorry I'm late" I said already shutting him the puppy dog eyes.

"Hello to you too Jessica" he turned around with an annoyed expression. "What is it this time?"

"I was working on a project with Paul. I'm so very sorry, please please pleeease don't tell Nick" I begged him not to tell my coach that I had arrived late once again. It wouldn't end up good for my butt.

"Fine, I won't tell him this time but this is your last chance. Now come on. You're running punishment laps" he said and I groaned once again.

"Alright, alright. It's only fair" I said willing to run my laps already when a hand stopped me.

"Wait up. You did stretch before right?" he asked me while raising an eyebrow.

"I... yeah of course" I lied quickly and he let me go.

We're supposed to do some stretching before starting to run but honestly I was so tired from my running all the way here I just didn't feel like it. Not that something would happen to me because I didn't.

I started running right next to my girls but we knew better than to talk while doing so. First, Carl would yell at us and I was trying to remain on his good side today. Second, you get this really bad pinching on your stomach when you run and talk.

Speaking of pinching... what the hell was with that little pinching I was feeling on my thigh. Ugh it's probably nothing, if I keep running it'll probably go away. After almost 20 minutes of nonstop running the little pinching had turned in a huge burning that would barely let me move. I was wincing and whimpering but I didn't dare to stop thinking it could get worse.

"Jess you're alright?" Valerie asked me slowing down as I was almost hobbling.

"Yeah, yeah. Just keep going. I only have a couple laps more" I said as I nodded my head. My friend shot me a weird look but went with the rest of the team to stretch while I kept doing my punishment laps.

Once I finished I joined the rest of the team feeling my little leg discomfort had calmed down considerably. Good, maybe it's just a stupid cramp.

"Alright girls gather up. Jess you stretched right?" Carl asked me and I nodded my head while panting.

"Yeah Carl don't worry" I lied again just wanting this agony we call excersise be over and we can get on with the shooting.

"Good! Alright girls, now we're gonna do the next exercise: three jumps knees to the chest, then speed up until reach that line, got it?"

Ughh noo. Not jumping. All the girls were tired but still Carl made them jump really high or else they had to do it again. I'm screwed!

"Come on Jessie, higher" Carl instructed and I made another lame attempt of jumping.

"I can't!" I complained a I tried to jump higher but I felt my muscles too tense.

"Jessica don't make me lose my temper. Now do the jump properly or you'll seat for the rest of the practice"