Meeting The Far North

Finian POV

Beneath the darkening sky they come, the new Alpha leading them as they make their way along the driveway. Black crows circle the area cawing, clicking their beaks to each other as if hoping there will be some kind of carnage that they can scavenge from.

Static charges the gathering, many wolves hoping to find a mate in this exchange, the first time Grey and I are handling this since our father's death.

The trees seem restless even with the wind moving their limbs in a wild rush.

Grey and I stand tall and strong against this Far North's hostile Alpha, never the same after I killed his brother, rightfully so. I would hold the same hate for him if he killed my brother. The only difference is I would have killed him before anyone could have pulled us apart.

He's the size of a great bear, the weight of his body leaving its imprints in the ground. His female walking behind him, the softest chiming music coming from her ankles as she moves. Little balls of silver bouncing against their casings making the delicate music. The tinkering sound alerting everyone where that female is at all times. My mother said that it's locked in place until the Alpha feels he can remove it....

Her right side of her cheek still looks freshly cut, one slice from the silver knife claims the pack's ownership over the female the second slice is her status as Luna.

No other member of the pack has a second marking. She's also attached to a thick chain that binds her wrist to his, no escaping for a female who wants to run away, that's what my mother tells us the reason for the use of silver on the Luna, it's to prevents them from running away or hurting themselves after the Claiming Ceremony. It's the responsibility of the Alpha to keep his Luna safe from herself afterward.

Borson's wearing a silver knife at his waist, it's small, the kind a female would wear. The handle polished white ivory that catches the sun's rays making it look porcelain in nature. He leans into her ear saying something that has her looking at both Grey and me but she doesn't say anything back dropping her eyes to the ground, clasping her hands together in front of her. She makes sure not to touch the silver chain that is binding them together.

I'm not sure what's worse for these wolves to remain mateless or to find that their mates are from the Far North. The females being marked instantly and taken away, their females remaining with us taking our brands. Males will never leave their birth packs, too hard to integrate a male into the pack, it doesn't work out. The fighting for his place usually leaves them with mortal wounds as the pecking order of pack life is constantly being exerted on the foreign male.

Leading their males and females around the back of the house our mateless wolves wait but this time the Western Pack also is in the Exchange. The group of wolves, the largest in known history.

All their unmated females bear no facial marks, faces remain unmarked by the sharp blade of silver because they don't belong to the Far North.

His female walk is seductive, the silver bells keeping time to her swaying hips a symphony of temptation.

Her skin smooth and painted with deep brown ancient symbols, as if henna has been leached into her skin that still hasn't faded. I catch her glancing at times to the knife that's attached to his belt. She wears no smile, her face is semi-veiled, a primal seductress of thought.

"Look at her." Grey's voice so low in my ear. He sounds enchanted by the visual.

"I see her but look at the way she keeps looking at that knife, I don't think he can trust his own female. I guess that's everywhere no female can be trusted." saying the words that I know are the truth while Grey just eyes me slightly but says nothing back.