Chapter 13 - Unraveling Secrets

I knew from the moment Nikos became adamant that the Royal Ball be held fast, that he was trying to hide something from me.

At first, I didn't care about finding out what this was about. Because, curiously I have noticed my mate act all angry and defensive for the pettiest of reasons - consider the Jace incident; also the unnecessary arguments which sprouted between us.

Grudgingly, I admitted to myself that that an angry and stubborn Nikos was dangerously attractive.

You know how girls in books seemed to always fall for the most high-tempered, violent and  bad boys? I suppose I was one of those sappy girls.

But if my mate thought that slamming the door to my face would stop me finding out what I wanted to know, he still had a lot to learn about me.

I immediately turned away from the door and walked towards the bedroom. There was no point in going out and trying to pry out information from the queen. Not with Nikos there.

Also, judging from his attitude, he would not allow anyone to approach me till the Ball with the information I need.

Which means I had to get the details by hook or by crook...

The different quarters in the palace were designed such that no voices can be heard. The walls in every room in the quarters were padded with thick metal and final touching of cushions. Normally, people would consider this as beautiful interior design. But, I knew that the person who designed this place had ingeniously taken the werewolf's​ sharp hearing into consideration.

Except, perhaps one place.

If my observation was right....

I had now reached the adjoining bathroom of the master bedroom. A huge mirror was inset into the wall, making it a part of the thick tiled walls. Fortunately for me, this part of the wall was the one facing the corridor, where Nikos and the Queen were having their discussion.

I inserted my fingers into the edges of the mirror and tried to wriggle it out. I felt the mirror slightly move.

Good.

I swiftly walked to the shower and switched it on. If I hoped to hear from this side into their conversation, they would also be sure to hear a person shuffling on the other side. Better they think I was in the shower.

Then I slowly and pulled the mirror from its hinges, enough for a gap to form and the voices to be heard in through the thinned wall behind the heavy mirror.

Sure enough, the raised voice of Nikos and the agitated voice of the Queen flowed in clearly from this gap.

________________________________________________

A loud shout-out to @winniedolly for being a great friend and encouraging me to continue writing :):)