BONUS CHAPTER 2

The first meeting...

"So what happens if the dogs don't like Lily and Sammy?" I ask from the backseat of the car. I'm in between the two carseats and am starting to feel claustrophobic. Who made carseats so bulky and heavy? Well, whoever did probably didn't have a kid to lug around.

But I guess that's why they're stay safe in them.

When we found out we were having twin girls we decided that we each get to name one. I of course went with a flower name and my mother's name as her middle name. Lily Marilyn and Ryder went with Sammy Alexandra after his mom. He said that even though their relationship has been a bit strained he still wanted to honor everything she's done for him.

"Hmm, we get rid of the kids?" Ryder says glancing at us through the rearview mirror. We are only a few minutes from home and I'm getting more and more anxious.

We did everything the internet told us too. Ryder brought home Lily and Sammy's baby blankets so they know their scent. And we got the dogs some toys so the only thing left to do is wait.

"Okay. I think Gabe and Carley will take one and maybe my dad and Annie will take the other," I say glancing between the two sleeping babies dressed in yellow. Because screw pink. Pink sucks.

"I'm glad we have a plan," Ryder says as he pulls into the driveway. We each grab a carseat and head into the house.

"Ready?" Ryder asks unlocking the door. We are greeted by two giant dogs who stop short when they see what we are holding.

We cautiously place the car seats on the floor and hover while the dogs sniff the babies. My heart is pounding so hard and I have my hand inches above Boomer's collar to pull back if he starts getting too crazy. Ryder is doing the same with Oliver.

But they are happily wagging their tails and Oliver even gives Sammy a slobbery kiss. Boomer loses interest quickly and goes to find somewhere to nap.

"Okay, that's good. I guess we're keeping the babies!" Ryder says smiling and taking Sammy out of her carrier. I do the same with Lily. We settle in by preparing bottles of formula and putting extra bibs and diapers at ever corner of the house. We can never be too prepared.

Then the next few hours are a blur of bottles, diapers, spit up, and making sure Boomer and Oliver are fed and let out. Finally at around 7:00 we swaddle the babies and place them in their bassinets.

As soon as I'm downstairs I open a bottle of white wine and pour a large glass full. I don't even pour any for Ryder because I think I'll need the rest of the bottle for myself.

"Really, Addy? Already?" Ryder laughs sitting next to me on the couch stealing a sip of wine.

"Mine," I say grabbing it back.

"Nine months without this has been terrible!"

"Believe me, I remember." Ryder gets himself a glass and wraps his arm around my shoulders.

"You nervous?" he asks.

"About being a mom?"

He nods.

"Not really. We're already the best dog parents this can't be that different."

He laughs and shakes his head, "I'm nervous about my job. I never cared too much about getting hurt until right now."

I look at him and he looks like he has been through more than me in the last few days. I guess this is something that's been weighing on him for a while now.

"You've been doing a great job at not getting hurt," I tell him.

He chuckles, "yeah, I guess you're right. I don't know, Ads."

"There is always a position open at the flower shop for you. I know the boss," I wink.

"What's she like?"

"Beautiful, smart, hilarious-"

Ryder cuts me off, "and a drunk."

"Maybe a little bit," I shrug.

"Ugh. Identical twin girls. Why couldn't they be boys? I would not be so worried about their teenage years if they were boys." Ryder is ranting a bit. He does this when he's tired. Moves from one topic to another quickly and without a transition.

"Maybe they'll get your beard and we won't have to worry about anything," I say running my fingers down his cheeks.

He yawns and closes his eyes, "that would be perfect. Your eyes and my beard. And our future son won't be able to grow one."

"Son?" I say hitting him in the stomach so he looks at me.

"Well, eventually." He shrugs.

"Yeah in ten years."

"When you're forty?"

"I will not be forty in ten years, asshole. Not even close," I say grabbing the bottle of wine from the coffee table and take a swig right from the bottle.

"I'm taking this away. You know the girls will wake up in the middle of the night. You don't need to be drunk," he says kissing my cheek.

"I do very well drunk," I mumble. He's right so I don't put up a fight when he corks the bottle and puts in the fridge.

We go to bed earlier than we ever have before but I can tell neither of us truly fall asleep. We have the baby monitors on loudly and I'm regretting our choice of having them sleep in their own bedrooms. Maybe we should move them in here.

But I'm not sure our bed is big enough for two infants, two dogs, and us.

***

Another bonus chapter!

I swear I'm not trying to avoid school work :/

Hope you enjoy <3

-Brooke