five.

Sometimes he liked to pretend he wasn't homeless.

He'd walk around the streets aimlessly, standing tall as if he was someone important. No one fell for it.

All they'd see was a thin, poor boy.

And maybe, he thought, that was what he'd always be.

He felt a jab to his ribs and sat up, alarmed.

"I'm so sorry! I didn't see you there! Did I hurt you?" a young woman asked, concern in her eyes.

"No, no. It's alright, " he smiled softly at her but she didn't seem convinced.

"I really am sorry. Um..." she took out her wallet and he watched her eyes glaze over. Furrowing his eyebrows, he glanced at her wallet. She only had a twenty dollar bill, no credit cards or anything. "Here. In case you need to buy some bandages or–or something."

He looked at her in admiration. It was all she had yet she was giving it to him.

Then, his eyes flickered over to the small child beside her, around six years old. Probably in school already.

He returned his gaze to the woman and shook his head. "No, ma'am. You can keep that. Your apology is enough."

"Are you sure?" the woman raised her eyebrows at him, surprised.

"I'm sure. You and your little girl have a nice day."

The young woman smiled at him and her child waved goodbye before they walked away. He watched them leave, grateful for the lady's generosity.

While across the street, the heels stopped clacking and the girl in them stared at the boy on the ground. She saw the entire encounter.

And something inside her felt...renewed.