151: Imperial Punishment

"Oliver..." Lea begun. "What happened to Phoenix and Hamsphant?" They should have been able to protect him no matter what.

Oliver who only recovered immediately looked even more sad. He looked down on his hands, unable to utter a word. His eyes slowly turned red with threatening tears.

His reaction caused Lea's heart to jolt. "Tell me." She pleaded, almost demanding.

Without bothering to turn his head to look at her, Oliver croaked, "My contract with Phoenix... was cut off..."

Lea frowned, wanting to shake Oliver for more explanation. However, the young man obviously lost half of himself from whatever happened.

[What reasons can a contract between a human and a beast be severed?] She queried to the Spirits.

One answered in chorus, [One, the beast died. Two, there was discrepancy between the linked souls. Three, the human forcefully severed the contract-- which would create a backlash on the beast, the contracted.]

[What discrepancies?]

[Incompatibility between their consciousness. Either the human or the beast had turned insane, making either incapable of following the resonance.]

Her crimson eyes darted to Oliver's glum face, feeling the heartache of whatever could have happened.

"Oliver, please let me know what it is..." She softly coerced, pulling the edge of Oliver's sleeve.

Oliver's eyes flickered from his hands to Lea's. If it was her, she would know what to do... He tried to pull himself together, out of the abyss called depression and misery. His mind swirled over the incidents that had transpired over the months. They were the most painful moments of his life...

As soon as he made up his mind, he slowly reached out to hold Lea's hand and gripped it tight, grasping for strength-- to take courage. Then he begun to say, "T-there was a backlash when I was driven insane from drugs... I don't know what happened or when, but Phoenix's connection with me was severed forcefully... The last time I remember was her sharp shrill as she flew towards the sky, followed after by Hamsphant... They were both... crying..."

Oliver's muttering was soft and slow, but Lea patiently listened. Whatever happened in the City of Wern was very serious. Just from the scheme of evil-minded people, a good Emperor and beasts alike were subjected to something this tragic.

Lea quietly rubbed Oliver's shoulder with her other free hand as she attempted to comfort him with words, "Thank you.. You've done very well, Oliver... I'll do the rest now."

Saying as such, she tried to smile for him.

Oliver's grip on her hand tightened as the lump in his throat grew sorer. He felt like crying from relief and warmth. Lea's presence was that strong and dependable that he could finally let down his guard. Being a young Emperor was not easy, and he had done it for quite a while.

It was unfortunate that he lost badly against the opposing faction. An Emperor he was, but still couldn't be as merciless as he should have. Now it costed him his beloved Phoenix.

He didn't say anything in return, but Lea knew there was nothing more to be said.

She remained by his side until he fell asleep once again. Exhausted were his mind and spirit, he needed to rest some more.

All the while, Seth found himself pitying the unfortunate Emperor. He still remembered how Oliver was forcefully placed as the Emperor for being one that was capable at that time. He had no choice, and they had to take advantage of his love for his people and his hope to better other people's lives.