𝟎𝟑.

A resounding knock echoed through my door the next day, jolting me from my bed with anxious anticipation

A resounding knock echoed through my door the next day, jolting me from my bed with anxious anticipation. I hurriedly opened it, half-expecting Natasha or Tony to announce they had found a new place for me. To my surprise, Captain America's imposing figure stood before me, peering down.

"I apologize if I woke you up," he said. "I learned about you this morning and thought I'd drop by to say hello."

"No, not at all," I responded, masking my grogginess. "I was... working out."

He chuckled, displaying an uncertain demeanor but maintaining kindness and warmth. "I'm Steve."

"I'm Stella," I smiled, extending my hand for a handshake.

"I've had my fair share of encounters with HYDRA in the past. I wanted to commend you for your admirable bravery. I can only imagine the pain of losing your family, especially in the context of HYDRA's experiments. You remind me a lot of an old friend, and I want to do for you what I couldn't do for him. I want to ensure your safety and guide you onto the right path."

I attempted to speak, but for a moment, no words emerged. Steve's words had a comforting effect on my heart. It felt reassuring to hear that seeking refuge with the Avengers was the right decision, especially coming from one of HYDRA's most formidable adversaries.

"Thank you," I eventually managed. "I'm genuinely thankful for the offer of this room. I'm just grateful for the chance."

"Of course," Steve smiled. Briefly, it seemed like he might walk away, but instead, he cast another glance down at me, crossing his arms. "Meet me in the training room tomorrow morning. Is that alright?"

"O-Of course, yes!" I blinked, somewhat taken aback.

Observing him depart, I pondered what had prompted his sudden invitation for me to train alongside him. The mention of his old friend lingered in my mind, leaving me to wonder if there was a connection. Nevertheless, one undeniable fact emerged—our shared encounters with HYDRA fueled his desire to guarantee my safety. That realization alone brought comfort, assuring me that wherever I ventured once I departed, I would be in secure hands.

"On your left!" I shouted, punching Steve's sparring pad clad in a boxing glove. He grunted but stood firm. Here was just a tiny glimmer of my growing confidence.

"Good job, kid. Keep at it. With more practice, you'll have me on the mat," Steve encouraged, smiling as he looked down at me. The smile, however, quickly transformed into a look of concern. "Hold on, why is toppling me your objective again?"

"If I can bring down Captain America—" I grunted, persistently striking the sparring pads. "I can take down anyone."

"Well, if that's your goal," he sighed, absorbing my punches.

Over the past two days, I had seamlessly integrated into life among the Avengers. Initially expecting to have moved on by now, I found myself still without an update on my next destination. The topic had not surfaced since my arrival, leading me to assume that the search for a suitable place was ongoing, likely prolonged by the sudden nature of my entrance. Not that I minded; a growing fondness for my current surroundings made each additional day here a source of increased happiness and security. Moreover, there was a subtle sense that the Avengers were warming up to my presence. Though cautious not to set my expectations too high, I relished the time spent here, mentally preparing for departure while enjoying the present.