Chapter One

*Library closed*

"What?! Closed?!"

I stared at the home made paper sign that was taped to the inside of the library's door. I sighed deeply, resting my forehead against the glass doorframe. Great! Where the hell am I suppose to go now? The library had been the one place where I had been hanging out at during lunch since the school year started, that was almost two months ago now.

I know, I know, you're probably thinking.. Geeze, Hail. It's not a big deal, just go have lunch with your friends! Right?

Well you see I don't have many friends here. Okay, I'm lying, I have no friends. I just wasn't a people person. I was always that weird, awkward, dorky girl that did not know how to socialize, it honestly gave me bad anxiety. Pathetic, I know.

I did have one friend at this school, one. My best friend Carmen. She and I had met in grade school when her and her family moved here, we've basically been best friends ever since, we had that sandbox friendship. Sadly that all changed over this past summer. Carmen's parents got divorced at the end of the school year, and her mom basically had full custody of her so they moved away to the other side of the city, which meant that Carmen had to change schools.

It sucked, it really did. This was going to be our last school year, we were seniors now, it was suppose to be the best one yet, and now we had to spend the year separately. I had no doubt in my mind that Carmen would make friends really fast, she was the type of person that everyone liked. She was funny, smart, caring and not to mention beautiful. Carmen came from a Hispanic family, she automatically had that natural beauty and curves.

However, before Carmen did move away we made sure to spend most of the summer together, and when the day finally did come I happen to stay a week at her new place because my dad was away with work, and he didn't feel comfortable with me staying alone.

It didn't really hit me just how lonely I was here until the first day of school. Carmen and I always had lunch by the girls locker room, but seeing how I was now a party of one, it easily got taken over by a group of people. By the third day of school I decided to have lunch in the library, I had some work that I needed to work on anyways, after that day i found the library to be my safe zone. I didn't feel so alone in here.

The library was always open for any student to come in and catch up on some work, whether it was during class hours or in between breaks. It was usually Mrs. Jones, myself and a handful of nerdy students in here. Mrs. Jones knew my friend situation, so when she wasn't able to be in the library she usually left me the key hiding somewhere, but I couldn't find it anywhere this time. I wonder where the hell she could be, I hoped everything was alright.

I sighed and turned back around, heading towards the locker area, I suddenly wasn't feeling very hungry anymore. I would put my lunch bag away, find a nice tree with some shade, and read until classes started again. Actually, no. I wasn't going to let something like this ruin my day, ruin my appetite.

I walked over to the nearest tree behind the library and plopped my tushie down onto the grass. I reached into my bag and pulled out my book that I was currently reading, it was Dying to forget by Trish Marie Dawson.

My mom had been sick for quite some time when I was younger, I guess she finally got tired of fighting five years ago. After she had passed away I needed something to distract me from the pain and sadness, and well seeing how Carmen was my only friend and we couldn't be together all the time, I got addicted to reading books. Reading actually became one of my biggest passions. I loved getting lost in all the stories, it was like a small escape from reality, and everything was fine, even if it was just for a little while. My dad had bought me this book for my birthday, along with four others. My whole left side wall in my room was practically covered in books.