From Zero

AN: Hello my good people! This is my first fanfiction so please be gentle on my feels when it comes to comments. I just wanted to do my own take on an IF story by Tappei Nagatsuki. So yeah I don't much to say other than to hope that you enjoy my story. My first chapter will basically be a recap from the scene in episode 18.

Disclaimer: I do not own Re:Zero and it's characters. All rights apply to the creator; Tappei Nagatsuki. Enjoy :D

Chapter One: From Zero

"I've had enough. Let's run, Rem. You and I can't stay here. We shouldn't be in this country!" Subaru's chest began to ache. Grasping at his chest he squeezes to distract himself from the pain. He is unable to withstand all the emotions circulating through his mind; sadness, guilt, hatred, and fear. All the emotions he collected upon his various loops never subsided. Clinging to him like leeches, sucking at his will to save Beatrice, Ram, Emilia, and all the defenseless villagers. All of which found their own parts into his heart creating something he didn't have in this world; a family.

He just couldn't do it anymore. Subaru saw no answer in sight. What was he to do? He was only a hopeless boy from another world trying to make sense of his whereabouts. He had no skills, He couldn't put up a good fight, and he only had his stupid cocky attitude. Hell! He couldn't even take down three street thugs in his own! If Rem couldn't even touch Petelgeuse what good would he be?

Useless. That's how Subaru classified himself, he no longer had hope for a future in which he saved the Roswaal Mansion from undergoing a massacre by the Witch's Cult.

"Let's get a dragon-drawn carriage and head west. We'll leave Lugunica and go far west... To Kararagi, was it? We'll buy a little house and live there together." In his mind Subaru knew that if he couldn't save the estate from collapsing and it's occupants, all of which he had grown to love, from dying he sure as hell wasn't going to let Rem suffer the same fate... again. "Even if bad things happen I'll be happy knowing someone is waiting for me at home with a smile."

Saying these words felt like a betrayal to Emilia. While in this new world he only saw himself with Emilia. Her cute personality and her naive nature only complemented her beautiful looks. But with Return-by-Death it felt like weeks to Subaru that he began to love Rem. When Emilia refused to trust him and left him in the capital he couldn't help but feel abandoned. Subaru only wanted to help protect her from the dangerous people that fear her because of her elfish blood. After she left he no longer felt the burning attraction he had towards her as he did when he first laid eyes onto her.

If Subaru could find a way to save Emilia he would. Without a doubt Emilia didn't deserve to die especially to the hands of the cult. However, Subaru couldn't save her. Even when he had her safe in a previous loop she still died in his arms. Subaru didn't want anymore of it. Not that he'll stop the death merely, he'll ignore it. But his main priority now was to keep Rem safe. She was his staple, the only thing keeping him together. He internally vowed to keep Rem alive since the first time he saw her dead, lying in a pool of her own blood in the garden of the Roswaal Mansion. Since he couldn't save Rem while pursuing the Witch's Cult he only came to one conclusion:

"Please run with me, Rem!" Yelling out these words Subaru bent his upper body forward in a bowing position refusing to look up at Rem, fearing for the worst.

"Subaru-kun..." At these words Subaru lifted up his head to look at the source of where the angelic voice came from.

Rem looked back at Subaru with blue eyes full of wonder. The soft wind blew her short, blue hair to the side. Her black and white maid uniform shifting slightly in the wind. Rem clasped her hands together, raising them and holds Subaru's hands in hers.