Life in Kararagi

AN: I love writing, but it doesn't mean I'm good at it. Well let me reiterate that; I love writing about things that I want to write about. I would rather be doing this than some essay on.....well anything school related. This makes me happy in a way that I create a world where Rem isn't in a coma and isn't about to die. I should shut up now.

Disclaimer: I do not own Re:Zero and it's characters. All rights apply to the creator; Tappei Nagatsuki. Enjoy :D

Chapter Two: Life in Kararagi

3 months have passed since that day and for 3 months Subaru and Rem lived a quiet life in Kararagi. After taking a carriage to Kararagi Rem and Subaru began to make plans on where to stay.

Temporarily, they stayed at a small apartment building which was very cheap and it showed. The apartment consisted of a tiny living room (furnished with a beige, moth-eaten couch, wall mounted candlesticks, a chair which may have had the sofa's color scheme but was too dirty to tell, and a wooden nightstand), a tiny kitchen, a bathroom, and a bedroom that was small enough to pass for a walk-in closet. Subaru states he would sleep on the couch so Rem could sleep on the bed. A window was located in the living room and bedroom, adorned with white-ish curtains. Subaru opened a window upon entering their room to diminish the horrible smell of tobacco that clung to the air.

"Well this seems... as good as it's gonna get as of now." Subaru turns around and puts his hands on his hips giving Rem a toothy grin.

"If Subaru-kun is happy, then Rem is happy and if Rem is happy, then Subaru-kun is happy." Rem happily expresses her willingness to follow wherever Subaru goes and do whatever he feels is right. That's just how Rem was when it came to her Subaru. Ever since Subaru saved her from an early death by getting mauled by Demon Beasts she felt she was in debt to Subaru and decided to protect him. Overtime those feelings began to develop into something more beautiful.

When it came to employment, Subaru got a job of being a delivery man. Taking packages to their destinations while not needing to know much about the written language of this world was just what he needed, but he did study during his off time as it would help tremendously. The job tested his patience, dragon traffic was a lot worse than it sounded. At one point it may have been cool to see a bunch of ground dragons in one area but he has gotten used to it so much that it is as normal as traffic in the normal world.

Rem on the other hand was able to land a job at a local bakery. Using her skills as head chef at the Roswaal Mansion, Rem would create the necessary doughs within minutes. Decorations for the cakes and such were a piece of cake... Using her sweet presence Rem basically became the mascot of the bakery. Becoming a model employee within days Rem was assigned her own workstation up front where pedestrians could catch her making pastries and breads. This resulted in more customers which also resulted in Rem getting a raise.

In no time Rem and Subaru were able to afford to buy their own little house within two months of entering Kararagi. A lovely two bedroom (one which came with a bare bed already), one bath house that had a nice sized kitchen and a living room that was slightly larger than the kitchen. To save money they only bought the bare essentials.

Over dinner on their first night staying at the house Subaru brought up a topic that had been on his mind ever since they bought the house just a day ago.

"Uh...Rem, I'm gonna head to the market after dinner to buy a bed frame and all."

Rem was puzzled as to why Subaru wanted to spend more money on a bed when they both could sleep on the one the one previous owners left them. "Why Subaru-kun? Does the thought of sleeping next to Rem displease you?"

"No no no no that's not it I just thought you would want your personal space is all." Subaru replied frantically after seeing Rem's frown and hopelessly cute eyes. Damn she's good.