Chapter one: Beginning of an Adventure

Chapter one:
Beginning of an Adventure

"If you are not back with that bread in the next twenty minutes I'll snap your neck! Understand?!" Clarisse yelled. She showed her regular scowl to me as I walked down the path. I rolled my eyes. "Alright Miss Clarisse," I said slipping into my Spanish accent which she hated. She grunted and slammed the door. I just smiled and continued on.

I have lived in this hell hole for ten years. My parents died in a fire when I was five. The only way I got out was a young boy pulled me out. These people were the only people that would take me in after the fire. The demons I lived with were the high society aristocrats The Richmond family. They live off the coast of New Forest, England. I, being from Spain hated, England and the Richmond's hated me.

First there are the two adults; Clarisse and James. Clarisse makes sure I know my place around everyone, even the scrappy salesman that sells apples on the corner. James could care less of me. He wouldn't care if I was dead or alive. Then you have the four children. First is Jason. A strapping young nineteen year old who is engaged to a red head girl down the road. He has been taught all his life to hate Spaniards because we are Catholic. So he and I don't exactly see eye to eye. Next is Sarah who is only sixteen and waiting to be wed. She is a beautiful blonde that would take any chance to spit on me. Finally you have the two youngest Emma and Robert. Robert is eight and Emma is seven, and they are different in many ways. Robert looks like his father, but has the scowl of his mother. Emma doesn't look like either one of her parents. She has beautiful blonde curls that reach her shoulders.

She is the only one who cares for me. I adore her; she is a little ray of sunshine. I sometimes sneak out into the woods to practice my sword fighting with an old branch, or drink rum. She follows me and watches me until her mother calls. The reason I sword fight is when I was four I remembered my father saying he wanted to teach me, so I took it up for him. Anyway, this family is all I got. Even though I want to run away and sail back to Spain, I can't because I don't have any money.

When I returned, three men were carrying chests full of clothes, jewels, and other things from the house to a ship that sat in the dock. I remembered seeing her when I passed the dock. Her name was the golden piece. 'How fitting for this family,' I thought. I walked up the cobble path to where I saw Clarisse barking orders to the men and little Emma playing with a doll of hers. When Clarisse turned around she scowled and turned her attention back to the men again. I rolled my eyes and walked over to her.

"Here is your bread Miss Clarisse," I said handing her the basket.

She turned back to me. "Then set it there. I am busy stupid girl can't you see," She growled.

"I can see you are being a pain in the ass," I murmured.

She didn't seem to notice, but Emma did. She giggled a bit. I didn't argue I just headed to the woods. I listened to my leather boots crunch on the grass. I remembered how I had stolen them from the tanners because they look as if they belong to pirates. I reached a clearing that was secluded enough for my needs. I looked up at the tree branches for a nice size branch. Just three branches up, I could see a perfect size branch. The lowest branch I could reach was a hands span higher than my head. I grabbed the base of it and pulled myself up. I sat there for a bit then did the same to the second branch.

I stood up balancing as best as I could. Out of the belt, I had also stolen from the tanner, I pulled out a silver dagger that was three fingers wide and it went from my elbow to my wrist counting the hilt. This dagger was the only thing I could salvage from the flames of the house. The silver glistened in the noon day sun. I placed the blade right where the branch met the trunk. I tightened my grip; I raised it up and slammed down on it with great force. It broke instantly and I was holding it in my other hand. I threw it down and it landed silently on tall grass that grew at the base.