Chapter six: Running from the Calvary

Chapter six:

Running from the Calvary

I led the rum soaked crew down the narrow allies along the dock. I kept looking back behind me to make sure Jacoby and the rest of the crew was still there. I could barely see the soldier behind me. I looked ahead and saw an opening and father was standing there giving orders. I sped ahead. I came to a halt in front of him. "Father Listen to me a soldier is after us. Don't say anything I have a plan I will drive him away but I need you to stay docked here until you see me, then begin to sail out of the dock," I said. He was about to argue but I sped off. I heard him tell his crew, "You heard the lass get your sorry asses on the ship and wait for my command!"

I ran down the curving allies. I looked behind me and I saw the soldier sprinting full blast on his horse. I didn't have a plan. I was starting to worry. Then I remembered. Just before we left New Forest I had taught Cassia to buck on command with the help of a trainer. He was lagging a bit and didn't understand the signal sometimes but it was worth a shot. I looked around the area and found what I was looking for a couple of feet ahead of me. We came up on the turn and I jerked the reins to the left. I slowed Cassia down and then to a halt, dead end. Just what I was looking for. I backed him up to where his rump was on a foot away from the wall. "Alright buddy I know we haven't perfected this but I need this to work. When I land head to the ship," I said. I know he probably didn't understand what I said, but I hope he knew what to do.

I waited. Then I heard horse hooves, and then I saw Ricardo. He came to a halt in front of me. "Now give me my money and I might let you live," He breathed. "I don't think so handsome," I said. I stood up on Cassia's rump. I kept my balance as much as I could. I said a silent prayer that this would work. Then I whistled. Thank the lord almighty Cassia understood. He bucked and sent me flying to the roof tops. I landed on my feet thankfully. I saw Cassia speed off. Hopefully he goes towards the ship. I looked at Ricardo who was in shock. I gave a slight bow and ran across the roof tops.

I ran as fast as I could and jumped as high as I could. I looked down at Cassia who was keeping pace with me. I noticed that the Queen Anne's revenge was still in dock. I put my fingers in my mouth and whistled as loud as I could. Then I saw the Anchors being lifted. I looked down and Cassia was a few paces behind me. I made a risky decision. I closed my eyes and jumped off the roof. When I opened them I was sitting on Cassia's back. I praised the lord almighty that I didn't die. I didn't have time to finish it the ship was leaving. I'm not going to make it I thought. Then I saw a ramp leading to a roof about 20 feet away from the deck of the ship. I had to risk it yet again.

This time if I didn't make it then I would die. I ran up the ramp. Cassia was sweating. "Come on buddy just a little bit longer," I yelled. I reached the roof and then I jumped. Everything seemed to go in slow motion. I flew in the air. Ricardo stopped in amazement. Father ran towards me. Then Cassia hit the deck and skidded to a stop. I took a breath then everything went to normal. Father ran to my side. "Helena, are you alright? Helena!" He asked. I started to breath heavy then slid off into his arms. "Take him to the stables. Jumma take her into my quarters I will be there soon," Father commanded.

Jumma was a big black man with bulging muscles. He carried me in his arms. We entered my father's cabin and he set me down on a red velvet couch. He left the room. I tried to calm my breathing but it was a failed attempt. I still had trouble processing what just happened. I have just lived and perfected a stunt that a trained soldier can't do. Father rushed into the room and to my side. "Helena. Dear god girl you had me scared to death," He laughed. "Thank god Cassia is full of muscle, if he wasn't then you would be in ocean or even dead," I remained silent. He jumped up and went to the other end of the room. He brought a bottle back over uncorked it and poured it into my mouth. I sputtered and coughed. I came to reality. "What did I just do?" I managed to say. "You just survived an assassin's jump as we call it," He replied.

"You have guts Helena. Many men have failed attempting that," I sat on the edge of the couch. "Will you be alright Helena?" I looked up at him. He had concern in his crystal blue eyes. "I will be fine. I was just scared," I said. I started to calm down. He kissed my forehead and left the room. Then Talon ran in. "Helena you are crazy! I can't believe you just did that," He exclaimed. "Are you alright? You seemed in shock when you came aboard," "I'm fine just a little dizzy," I replied. He seemed so concerned. I thought he would be less concerned with my wellbeing. He sat next to me. "I need to tell you something but not here follow me," He stood up and took my hand. He dragged me out of my father's cabins. He led me down to the stables. We hid behind a stack of barrels. "Helena I know you think I am a jerk that charms women into his bed, but I am not like that," He whispered. "The truth is that I don't want to be known as that I want to be known as a hero like you," "I'm no hero Talon," I told him. "Yes you are. That soldier was sent here to find us. If not for you we would all be in prison," He whispered

I suddenly remembered a piece of paper sitting on the table the soldier was at. I could only read the top. 'Wanted Queen Anne's revenge crew and captain.' is what it read. "I remember seeing a parchment with a price on our heads," I said. "All I'm saying is I need your help. I can't go to the crew, but I can go to you. Please I am asking for a chance to be a hero," He said. "Talon I can't help you. The only way you can be a hero is to think wisely. Don't think out of greed and selfishness. Try that but I can't help you," I said. "Thanks anyway," He said. He left. Suddenly I felt sympathy for Talon. All he wanted was a chance to be a hero. He might be a pirate but he wanted a chance to do great things. He was really asking for a way to be a hero but still be who he really is. A pirate.

I went up on deck and everyone was laughing having a good time. A drunken Jacoby stood on a barrel with a bottle of rum in his hand. "To Helena, the one who saved our skins from the Spanish navy," He slurred. The crew raised their bottles and drank. I just laughed. They think I'm a hero. I am no hero. I thought. Then I remembered the stunt I did. I still had trouble processing what had happened. I grabbed a bottle of rum and began to drink. Father came beside me and smiled. "Rum won't ease your nerves; unless you're Jacoby," He laughed. "Really it seems to be working for me," I snapped. "You want to know how Jacoby started drinking rum," Father asked. "Sure tell your tale," I said staring at Jacoby dancing around the deck looking like a fool. "Well Jacoby use to be a navy man," He started. I raised an eyebrow at him. "I know hard to believe. Anyway he was a Navy man in the British navy. He was at a port we he caught the fancy of a young woman," He began.

"They met by dancing in a tavern. He said it was like floating on air. They saw each other often. What he didn't know is she was working with an old bloke that was a thief. Every time they met she would steal a little more; then a little more. Finally after a crazy drunken night in his cabins she stole all his money and was never seen again. He was so depressed he dropped out of the navy and began drinking to drown out the memory of her. In fact I found him in a tavern in Tortuga. He was arguing with the barmaid saying he would pay her back for more rum. I told him he could have all the rum he wanted if he joined my crew,"

"Wow. I never knew Jacoby would be that depressed," I said. Out of the corner of my eye I saw Talon heading my way. He stopped in front of us. He tipped his hat at father and held his hand out to me like the first time he asked me to dance. I grabbed his hand. I needed to take my mind off the miracle I had just achieved. Talon and I danced quick and gracefully across the deck. It felt as if the rest of the world disappeared. For some reason I felt affection....... Or lust towards him. I looked into his eyes. They were the color of amber and glittered in the moonlight. He gave a slight smile. I felt a heat in my cheeks. Was I blushing?

What is happening to me? I can't fall for him. He lures women in like a spider in a web. I just can't. Or can I? I thought. I noticed how his bangs poked out of his hat perfectly. I noticed how his lips were a perfect pink. Suddenly the song ended and I awoke from my spell. I walked away back to father. He didn't seem to notice the connection that just happened between me and Talon. I stood by father the rest of the night. I went to my cabin. I lay there tossing and turning. I couldn't stop thinking about Talon. How his hair looked so perfect when he took his hat off. How his skin was perfectly tan. What was I doing? Am I really falling for this man? I can't be.

"What am I doing? I need some air," I said in the silence. I slipped my boots on and went on deck. I went to the railing. I leaned against it and breathed deeply. "You can't sleep either," Someone said. I whipped around and saw Talon smiling at me. Oh shit. I thought.