05 | Belle

It was beautiful.

The clouds were puffy and slightly pink, like cotton candy Snow and me used to eat on festivals the three of us went to as little. Ari would steal ours after eating her in a record time and then we'd chase her between colorful tents.

My eyes wandered back to them.

Ari was sitting left of me and Sophie who were in the middle row, white earplugs coming out of her flannel shirt, brown hair messy and covering half of her face.

Without the Ray-Bans and the signature smirk she looked less threatening, peaceful even.

Snow's head was on her shoulder, mouth opened in silent snores. I couldn't miss the opportunity and after checking they're definitely asleep by waving my hand in front of their faces, I snapped a picture of them, grinning down at my phone.

It was hard ignoring Ari's accusing stares and pointed silence at the terminal. I wanted to turn around and explain everything without sounding desperate for her approval but I couldn't for Sophie's sake.

I was well aware of what I left behind me. My popularity, my kindergarten crush, my friends, and most important our parents.

That last one stung.

Ari has been visiting them weekly ever since the accident, but I barely went every second month. It's hard, thinking they are lying nine feet underground and I won't see them dancing to Bee Gees with us ever again.

I couldn't bring myself to feel the pain of loss I locked inside of me so I would always come up with excuses to justify why only my older sister goes, the one who's the most irresponsible of us, instead of me the golden girl.

Snow was torn between going with Ari and staying home with me. I think Ari noticed she wasn't keen on picking sides so she simply told Snow to stay and that she'll give her greetings to mum and dad.

This time Snow was torn between being mad at Sophie for taking us away and supporting her new job. We made her choose again, but she never said anything and just went along with our antics.

Despite assuring myself we are leaving for the better, all those faces were constantly popping up under my eyelids, making my heart ache and the amount of guilt to grow.

Snow stopped snoring for a second before snorting unattractively and nuzzling in Ari's shoulder. A weak smile found its way to my lips upon seeing her drool over Ari's black AC/DC hoodie. God save her when the monster wakes up and notices the damage on her precious clothes.

It pains me to admit but out of the three of us Snow is the one with a clear head. Yes, she is an airhead most of the time (still no idea how she has all A's), and she dyed her hair bubblegum pink, but she's the one who always gives me strength to face the world. Her energy is just so vibrant, and every time I look into her doe-like eyes I know I never want to be the one who will fail her.

My eyes go back to Ari as if pulled by the aura of silent confidence that hangs in the air around her.

It's kind of ironic that one of the major similarities between us is how she built walls around herself while I found myself a wall made of fake friends. Snow is the only one who remained the same, and she tries so hard to bring us together despite our differences. Of course, I'd never say that to her face.

Dear passengers, we will land shortly. Please sit down and put your seatbelts on. Laptops are to be placed back in the bags and tables back in their original position. Thank you for flying with British Airways.