F O U R T Y T W O

CHAPTER 42

HARRY

I knew the moment I met her.

She could make me the happiest person alive.

And she did.

But now, she has left me.

I am completely alone. She kissed me and I needed it to last longer than it did. But she ended us in a second, walked out and shut the door.

I always assumed that we would make it through this. From the night she was taken, I had hope, even when it seemed hopeless. But she forgot me and everything between us, and it made her choose Niall. She really chose Niall.

I don't blame her. Niall manipulated her, and took advantage of the situation. Because of that, I got paranoid, possessive, desperate, and it pushed her further away from me. I will never forgive him for that.

I walk out to the living room and sit down on the couch, and I get flashbacks to the day I was sitting here, thinking she was dead. I sat in this position, staring at the painting of Zayn for hours, unable to move. Claire was right. The girl that loved me, the girl who wanted me, the girl who would always choose me... she is dead.

The truth seeps into my skin and I close my eyes when a thought enters my mind. I will never be with Claire again. She doesn't want to ever see me again.

I have so many regrets. If I had known what I know now... I would do everything so differently. I would've been the man she deserves. I would've been the man she once loved.

My jaw clenches shut and my palm twitches when he comes to mind. He is to blame for all of this. He abused her, he drugged her, he manipulated her, he killed her...

Zayn.

I have been putting off even thinking about my rage towards him, to benefit Claire's recovery. But what's the point now? She's gone, for good now. I have nothing, and I need revenge. I need him to suffer like I am suffering. No matter if it's gonna be a week from now, a month, a year...

I get up from the couch, looking out the window. He is out there, right now. Breathing, living... I intend to end that. But not before making him writhe pain. He is going to regret that he took Claire, I'll make sure of it.

I have nothing else, so this is what I'll be living for now. Revenge.

Right then, my phone starts buzzing from the coffee table. I drag my tired body over to it, answering it as I fall back on the couch.

"Harry!" I hear Niall's panicked cry through the speaker. My body freezes in an instant, my heart with it.

"I fucked up," he says, and I close my eyes. No. Please, this can't happen to her again. She can't go through this again. She finally found happiness.

"Sh- She told me to give her a few minutes alone, and I went inside, and now, I- I can't find her!" he continues, and my heart falls. Because I know what this means.

I relive the exact moment when I entered the apartment, and saw the furniture misplaced, the flipped table, the shattered glasses covering the marble floor. I experienced the one thing that mattered most, slipping through my fingers. Niall is experiencing that right now.

"She's... gone."

•