TWO // Piper

A/N: This one is also now updated into present tense!

WHAT STARTED IT ALL

"I wonder who'll actually get some guys in choir this time," Taylor wonders aloud as she zips up her bag.

"I dunno," I shrug, leaning against the lockers.

We just finished running a mile because Taylor 'felt like it,' but didn't want to run alone – so naturally, you know, she had to drag me with her. Taylor ran a mile, but I probably ran half a mile and walked the rest of the way.

I'm not the athletic type, if you couldn't already tell.

"Why did you want to run today, anyway?" I ask her, furrowing my eyebrows. "Track season doesn't start until next semester."

Taylor shrugs, swinging her bag over her shoulder. "I like to stay in shape. Besides, I wanted to see if there was any guys I could ask about choir out here."

I smirk, chuckling quietly. "And there was literally none."

Taylor rolls her eyes, "Shut up. I forgot today was their off day."

"Sure you did," I raise an eyebrow, following my best friend out of the locker room. She flicks the lights off as she walks out, also checking to make sure the door is locked behind us.

"I'm gonna go talk to the coach for a minute," Taylor says. "I forgot to pay my dues today."

I nod, "Go ahead. I'll wait right here."

Taylor disappears into one of the health classrooms, and I hear her talking with the coach a few moments later. I sigh, leaning against the wall as I wait. I want to get on my phone, but it's nearly dead. I need the little charge it has for my drive home.

I close my eyes as I lean my head against the wall, listening. My ears perk up at the sound of someone singing. I can't tell where it's coming from, but it sounds amazing. It sounds like a male voice, which sends a small bit of panic down my spine, but I push it away with a deep breath. I can do this.

I open my eyes and turn toward the sound, then noticing that it's coming from the boy's locker room. I furrow my eyebrows as I turn and walk toward it. Today is supposed to be the one day the football team got free of practice.

The singing stops, making me stop abruptly and wait. I frown after waiting a few moments. Maybe I'm hearing things.

Then, the locker room door bursts open, and out walks a boy with dark brown hair that looks like it had been toweled dry only moments earlier. I bite the inside of my cheek as he gets closer, trying to think of what to say. I don't want to sound creepy, but I need to say something to him.

"You've got a great voice!" I blurt, and then immediately wanted to smack myself across the face for doing so. Why did I have to say something? He probably wasn't even the one singing, and now—

The boy stops and turns to look at me, his face hard, but confused. "That's wasn't me."

And then, without thinking, I say, "Bullshit, dude."

The boy only furrows his eyebrows, and I can tell he wants to say something harsh, but he doesn't.

"I don't sing," He finally says, getting ready to walk away.

"But you literally just did," I deadpan, crossing my arms over my chest. I eye him up and down, finally gaining some courage. If I act like someone else, a different character maybe, then this would be easier. I try to imagine how my older sister would handle this situation. She wouldn't back down. "You'd be good in choir. You should try out."