Silent

Danica's POV:

After sweeping by the hamper, I noticed the laundry was starting to build up. And so after I finished cleaning, I threw my dirty clothes in the hamper and tugged off the sheets from the Alaska King mattress.

As I stuffed the folded laundry back in their shelves, I paused when I realized my favorite black thong was missing. I could've sworn it was there last night. Maybe I've misplaced it, I suggested to myself.

I shuffled all over, scanning the room. Nothing.

I could've also sworn my white shirt had been draped over the backrest of a chair in the room. I made my way back to my drawer.

My red laced bra was also gone. This was no coincidence. Three things that were my favorite to wear, especially since Eric had loved them so much on me.

Was Santiago or Alessandra doing the laundry? That was way out of character.

I paced out the room, down the corridor, and downstairs. Santiago had been in his room, most likely playing with his fancy gadgets.

I barged through the door without much thought and caught him in the middle of an experiment. "Hey, did you start the wash?"

He looked up, furrowing his brows as he frowned, "No, did you want me to?"

I shook my head, "Were you looking for something in my room?"

His voice grew suspicious, "No I haven't, why?"

"Some things are missing."

He shrugged as he resumed playing with his contraption, "It was probably Alessandra."

It looked like she had cleaned a little while she was passing through. I blushed for my slovenly ways.

But that shirt really wasn't dirty, so I went to rescue it from the hamper.

I expected to find it near the top, but it wasn't there. I dug through the whole pile and still couldn't find it. I knew I was probably getting paranoid, but it seemed like something else was missing, or maybe more than one thing. I didn't even have half a load here.

The washing machine was empty. I checked the dryer too, half-expecting to find a washed load waiting for me, courtesy of Alessandra.

Nothing. I frowned, mystified.

"Did you find what you were looking for?" Santiago yelled out his door.

"Not yet."

I searched under my bed, nothing but dust bunnies and shoes. I gave up when the doorbell rang. That would be Noah.

I pulled the door open with a big smile on my face, "Hey, come in."

He grinned, greeting me with a warm hug. "It's nice seeing you again."

*

We ordered some pizza and watched a comedic movie.

In the middle of the flick, I could hear my phone begin to ring from a distance.

I turned over to Noah as I stood up, "I'll be back, sorry."

I rushed to the noisy device on the kitchen counter and instantly froze in paranoia. It was an unknown number.

Santiago walked out the hallway and into the kitchen, refilling his water. He glanced at me, motioning at my phone, "Aren't you going to answer that?"

I couldn't reply, or move. The first thought that ran across my mind was Marcello.

A name sworn to never be said again.