Chapter 44

To say that Brielle was nervous was an understatement. She was almost shivering with anticipation as she waited at the University gate for Jack.

She was going to meet his daughter. What if she made a bad first impression and the little girl hated her? What if she compared her to Claire and thought Brielle was nowhere near as wonderful?

"I may not be as wonderful, but I would never hurt her..." said a small voice in Brielle's head.

What if she didn't understand the child at all?

What if the child never understood her?

Brielle broke into a cold sweat as she realized: She simply wasn't ready to be a mother. There was no way she was going to tell this to Jack. She wanted to try at least---for him.

Her cell phone started to ring..."I'm a barbie girl in a barbie world---" as several passerby's suppressed giggles.

"H-ello?" she stammered, breaking out of her reverie.

"Hi!" said a childish voice. "This is Vicky!"

"Vick-y?"

"Are you going to be my new mommy? I wanna see you! When are you coming?"

"I wanna see you too!" cried Brielle happily. Vicky wanted to see her! She wanted a new mommy! she had called her! "I'll be home real quick---in about twenty minutes okay?"

"Okay! I love youuuuu."

"I love you too darling." said Brielle her smile growing wider and wider until her cheeks hurt. "Bye bye."

"Byeee!" said Vicky excitedly. It was evident the little girl was overjoyed.

Her sweat dried up quickly as it dawned on her---no one was ever ready to be a parent...but when the time came, they would learn.

A majestic black car stopped in front of her, attracting envious looks from the other students waiting for their own transport. The sleek windows rolled down slowly and Brielle's heart skipped a beat as Jack's handsome face appeared.

"Hey." he greeted a cheery grin on his mouth. Oh how she wanted to kiss him.

"Hey." she said grinning herself.

Jack stepped out suddenly and embraced her. He turned her gently till her back hit the warm car's metal. There were whistles and catcalls as he kissed her passionately. His hands were everywhere, as were hers. They didn't seem to care that people were watching, or that it wasn't even a very romantic day. Her hands intertwined with his hair as he traced her jawline with his fingers. They were happy in their own little world.

"Ready?" he asked when they finally broke away for air. His new stubble tickled her skin as she regained her breath.

"Ready." she said as she opened the car door.

They were about to become a family.

***

Ted Wilson was having a hard time gathering details. Claire had been very thorough with her work. There were no records of her ever being admitted to a hospital three years ago.

"How'd the baby get delivered? Don't tell me she got it done in her home with a midwife?" he muttered as he rummaged through thousands of files. "She must have at least had a doctor---a gynaecologist, dietitian, therapist ---someone."

Ted Wilson grumbled loudly. He hated not having evidence. It made him feel incompetent and useless. He slumped down onto his chair and growled in anger. He had a gut feeling Jack Dixon was innocent, but he also felt that a lot of stuff didn't make sense. He couldn't explain how Vicky was Claire and Jack's daughter. There was simply no evidence except that of circumstance.