Ch. 1

I pull my shoulders back as I walk into another cold concrete building on my second job interview of the day. Frankly, I'm not feeling very optimistic. Life hates me. Even if I do land the job. I am sure life will find a way to knock me down, it always does.

I've applied for a job as an Executive Assistant to the owner of G.S.I. The only problem is I don't have much experience. I been working as a paralegal for the last 4 years and got laid-off last week. With my niece and sister in-law dependent on me, I've been running around town, dropping off resumes at various companies to find work. At this point I'll do anything. I've gone on multiple interviews and even second interviews. Nothing is coming back to me positively, at this point I'm desperate for a paycheck.

I open the door with more force than necessary. Immediately I see the receptionist behind the large desk and slap a smile on my face. "Hello, I'm Samantha Rivers. I'm here for an interview with Mr. Greco."

She motions to a seating area with a couple of grey leather chairs. "Please, have a seat. It will only be a moment."

I do as she says and sit down, my legs wanting to do nothing but pace. I have to nail this interview. I have to have a job. Ella is doing great but we still have doctors bills stacked a mile high. Mom and Dad have been doing their best, we all have, but we can't seem to pull ahead of our mounting debt.

"Ma'am." The receptionist says, interrupting my inner dialogue, "He's ready for you." I follow her noticing how pretty her hair is, shiny and healthy. I wish I could afford to take care of my hair and nails like she does.

"You have very pretty hair." I tell her randomly. I tend to say exactly what I'm thinking. A curse I'm learning to control, slowly...very slowly.

"Thank You. I pay a man a lot of money for it." She jokes, winking at me. I laugh, noticing she's a lot older than I originally thought. I'd bet she's almost 50 but with the help of her hairstylist and healthy living she looks 10 years younger. I instantly want to be her one day.

I thank her as I walk through the door and she smiles in encouragement, but I see something else in her eyes as well, sympathy, concern? I make my way to the big dark wood desk in the center of the room. Behind it sits a man who looks like he's just walked off the cover of G.Q. Magazine. However, his demeanor and hard planes of his face tells me he's more than what meets the eye.

"Hello, I'm Samantha Rivers. I'm interviewing for the Executive Assistant position." I state, holding out my hand knowing instantly this man is all business and would appreciate straightforwardness. He nods and shakes my hand politely.

He motions to the chairs. I sit, his eyes scan me, his scan of me misses nothing. I take a deep breath...please, just give me the job.

His eyes harden. "The job is intensive, early mornings, late nights and no days off. I expect things to be handled properly and in a timely manner. I demand honesty and loyalty, you'll regret it if you don't give me both." He states, firmly. "There is a lot of travel involved, both overseas and stateside. Now, would you like to hear more? Or do you want the job?" He asks, seriously.

I pause only briefly. "I want the job." I say, hearing my eagerness.

"None of what I listed is a problem for you?" He asks, suspiciously.

"No." I answer, steadily.

"Any questions?" He asks, already looking towards his computer, ready to get back to his work.

"How much is the pay?" I question, needing to know.

"$150 a year. That includes all the time I just discussed. I work hard, seven days a week and travel. You won't have a social life. Your work will be your life. I'll notify you in advance for any days that I don't need you, but don't count on it occurring often."

    I nod, telling him that I understand. That's a substantial amount of money. Still, seven days a week, this could be brutal, not to mention illegal. However, its nice that he didn't gloss over the fact that he tends to disregard the law and what I should expect. I was only making $55,000 as paralegal. This is a major step in the right direction.

"Its fine. I want the job." I state, without hesitation.

"There's a two week probationary period."

"I understand." I reply, knowing I'll get canned if I don't do a good job in those two weeks.

"You're hired. You start today." He says, handing me a stack of papers. These need to be scanned and filed. You're responsible for my schedule, its all on the iPad." He states, handing me the iPad and a cell phone, "This is your company phone. Any incoming calls will come through on this line."

"Thank you." I say, taking the papers. I look around wondering where the hell I'm supposed to go. He motions for me to follow him and I see a door just to the right of his office. He opens it to reveal a small room with a desk, a computer,
scanner, fax machine, filing cabinets and a refrigerator. There's very little room to move in here, this is basically a closest in his office. "I'll get started right away."

"One more thing." I nod, that I'm listening. "Don't double book, me." He warns. "I loath chaos."

"I won't." I reply, turning to the desk. Ready to work, I lay the papers on the filing cabinet and turn on the computer.

As it starts up I sit behind the desk and watch the screen. For some reason I can't keep the receptionists sympathetic look out of my head and smirk to myself in understanding. A seven day work schedule definitely warrants that look. Mr. Greco is a demanding boss, but for that much money I can handle demanding with a smile.

    I concentrate on my work, scanning, filing and even answering a few phone calls with ease. The scheduling program is easy to work with and I start to feel more comfortable. I make sure I update myself on his scheduled meetings, dinners, and fundraisers throughout the week. Committing to memory the dates and times, which makes the phone calls I receive requesting appointments with him easier to manage. "This isn't so bad." I say to myself. As I glance at the time, I notice its nearing 6 p.m. I wince and pick up another file, he did mention late nights.