Chapter 11

We were drinking out of those coconuts within minutes. Breaking them apart was easy too, once we found a rock. And drinking it was the best part. The sweet nutty taste brought this coolness all throughout my lungs. I couldn't drink it fast enough without choking. Having water that was unsalted on my cracked lips was such a relief. And for the first time in days, I could see the bright side of things. 

     "Food, water, rest. And then we'll find a way to build some kind of raft. We'll sharpen rocks into knives and weave baskets from the leaves to pack as much food as we can carry. And then we go back into that forsaken ocean and find our way home," I stated in a matter of fact.

     "I was just thinking the same thing. The faster we get off this island, the faster we'll get home."

     "Good, I don't want to stay here any longer than I have too. I don't want any grey hairs to start coming out of my hair," I joked, "We'll start sharpening rocks now and all through out the night until morning. Then we start building."

     I lifted the broken coconut onto my lips to take the last of its liquids when off into the tangled jungle I saw a shadow of a mans figure. Who ever he was, he was watching us. That was the only thing I knew for sure. Was it another illusion though? I had to make sure. Without making it obvious I drank the rest of my drink and handed the empty coconut to Nazim so he could scrape the inside for food. When he reached to grab though I made it slip through my fingers, making it look like an accident.

     We both knelt down and when we were some what hidden from the tall tropical leaves I whispered close into his ear. "There is a man deep in the jungle from my line of sight, watching us."

     Any other man would have snapped his neck up to see where the threat was and ruin whatever element of surprise we would have had left, but Nazim was a trained warrior. Instead of turning his head in the other direction, he looked straight at me. Deep into my eyes.

     "I need you -" to make sure I'm not hallucinating , I was going to say. But I never got the chance to. Not when the ground beneath us started to rumble, and then the sensation of falling over filled my nerves. The earth around us was being manipulated and it wasn't until we hit the bottom did we see that we were trapped in a hole. 

     "Get up, get up!" I yelled at Nazim. It was someone from spring. The spring court found us, some way - some how they were able to use their ability here. And now was there perfect chance to kill me. 

     Adrenaline filled my veins as I tried to figure a way out. The dirt around was difficult to climb, it was to soft to grab onto - kept breaking apart with each handful I tried.

     "Evie!" Nazim held his hands together in a position waiting for me to climb on top of him in order to climb out. The hole we were in was deep enough that we couldn't reach the top on our own, but at the height of two people, maybe. Quickly I stepped onto him and tried. Dirt fell onto my face and eyes but I still kept trying to climb out with my shaking arms. 

     Nazim started lifting me up over his head as if I weighed absolutely nothing. And then I started to climb out on my own. My left hand reached over and out of the whole to feel the grass and with that I gripped onto it like rope and pulled myself out with one final climb. But who ever was in charge here was just toying with us. The earth started to roll into me, sending me crashing back down onto the bottom. Nazim tried to catch me, but we both fell from the momentum. 

     "No, no no no no!" I yelled. Dirt was sprinkled onto my face, I quickly wiped it away. Only to realize that I had a throbbing pain in my right wrist. I must have landed on it wrong, it didn't feel broken, but it also didn't feel great.