|Eleven|

♡♡♡

♡♡♡

11 || Finding Ray Brower

The six kids walked in silence following the tracks, not bring up the dead kid or the events that just happened an hour ago with the boys.

"Coming through the woods, I bet we saved over an hour," Chris stated.

Kaitlyn nodded, "probably."

Gordie, leading, stopped walking making the others stop too, "Teddy?"

"Yeah?" Teddy asked.

"Is this the Back Harlow Road?" Gordie asked.

"Yeah," Teddy answered after looking around.

"The Brower kid must be around here someplace," Chris said. "Teddy, you and Vern watch the left side of the tracks. The rest of us will take the right."

"All right," Teddy asked as they all started to look.

Kaitlyn and Ella walked down and looked around for the kid.

"God forgive us," Ella prayed quietly.

"Amen," Kaitlyn said.

The girls continued to look as they walked up the tracks with Gordie and Chris behind them.

"There he is!" Vern yelled. "I see him! Look! Look over there! I see him! I see him!"

They all ran to Vern and looked at the bottom half of his body. None of them said anything, they just looked in shock.

Chris was the first to walk forward, then Gordie, Vern, Teddy, Kaitlyn, and then lastly Ella.

They all stood still and looked. They didn't know what to do. In front of them was a dead person. A dead kid.

"Jesus," Vern muttered.

Chris grabbed a branch and pushed some branches away that was covering his head and face.

"Rest in peace," Ella said quietly with her voice laced with sadness.

"Rest in peace," the rest repeated.

Kaitlyn moved towards Chris and their hands intertwined.

"Let's look for some long branches," Chris said after a moment of silence. He gave Kaitlyn's hand a squeeze before moving his hand away. "We'll build him a stretcher."