Chapter 30- A Good Girl Gone Bad

December

Camelia, Sammy and Liam walked across campus in the chilly morning wearing jackets to ward off the cold. California was experiencing a unusual cold front, pushing itself south from the state of Oregon. The year was inching closer to an end and winter break was approaching quickly around the corner.

Camelia takes a sidelong glance at Sammy who walked beside her in a matching black leather jacket with fur lining. He couldn't contain himself and presented her with the early Christmas gift. He loved it so much he purchased nearly the same replica for himself.

The side of her lips lift in a half-smile.

Casually glancing around, she couldn't help but scan the faces of the students. Anyone one of them could be working for the enemy. She should have felt the fear and anxiety raging inside her like the first day she walked on campus, the discovery of the threat was still fresh and raw but now, Camelia felt nothing. She was completely numb and desensitized, the acceptance of her predicament soaked in her bones.

Camelia continued to trail her gaze around the preoccupied lovers scattered all around the campus holding hands, flirting, laughing, and kissing. The envy she once used to feel vanished like a cloud of smoke. It was a sign of giving up. It was the black negative, depressing hole eating at her insides. Sure, she put on a strong front, behaved as a normal person should but it was all a act. 

Her eyes flicker to the street and she immediately notices a black, slow moving Jeep inching along the curb.  It trickled slowly as if mimicking her movements. It was impossible to see the driver or passengers, the windows were darkly tinted.  It didn't appear familiar nor was it a recent addition to the security detail, she was sure. She continues to walk beside Sammy, her eyes darting towards the car every few seconds. She was almost positive the SUV was following her movements.

The prickling feel of the eyes behind the dark windshield boring into her skin was her only confirmation.  She was sure she was being watched closely. 

Camelia takes an uneasy glance at Liam to see if he noticed. He casually walks, his eyes darting all around the campus. However, his relaxed expression and the easy set of his shoulders seemed to slightly elevate her growing worry.  She thought again and decided to say something to him about her observation but held back because at that very moment, the vehicle stopped, turned on it's blinker and pressed on the gas rushing out of sight and into ongoing traffic. 

The hair on her skin rose despite her thick jacket. Whoever was behind the steering wheel must have caught her staring.  How disturbing, she thought. Camelia was ready to ask Liam if he recognized the vehicle, Sammy nudges her hand to catch her attention.

"What do ya have planned for winter break?"  He asks as they continue to walk across campus. 

It took Camelia a moment to gather her thoughts before answering him. "I-uh winter break? I'm staying at home."

"I'm going to Aspen with the family. I wish you could come with me, girl. We'd have a blast!"

"I wish I could too."  She answers absentmindedly and tucks a strand of hair behind her ear, eyeing the street again.  No black jeep in sight.   "You must be excited.  How long will you be there?"

"We're going for a week.  I'm trying to talk Ricky into tagging along.  I don't want to be stuck with my parents and baby sister for that long...boring! Your brother and sister flying in for the holidays?"