Chapter 17

The bustling and the rushing back stage almost made like the show production was a complete mess. Like it was so unorganized that people had no idea what to do or where to go. Except, it'll probably only look like that to somebody who has never seen the backstage of a dance show before. Everyone knew what to do and where do go at the right time.

I try to dodge the many people who are making the last minute changes and preparations of the show to get to my dressing room. Everyone had to be there four hours before the actual show so we can do one last dress rehearsal. On the way, I accidentally bump into someone causing the both of us to almost fall and eating it. But we both mutter a "sorry" and continue on in our separate ways.

I make it to my dressing room right when Katie lets us know we need to get ready for our first number. I quickly put on my dark stage makeup and stick on my fake eyelashes. Then I tie my hair up into a braided bun and place my fake hair scrunchy thats curled over my bun. After my checking my hair and makeup one last time in the mirror, I search through all my costumes for the costume for my first number.

We have just ran through the whole two hours of the show and now we have two hours until the actual show. I wish they made the show so that it was on the weekend. I still didn't finish my homework after school ended. Right after school, I had to book it home to gather all of my dance things, and by the time I got to the school's auditorium, we had to get ready for dress rehearsal.

So, until the show starts, I'll be doing homework. A knock sounds outside my door and without looking up from my trigonometry homework, I yell, "Come in!". The door pops open and sounds of footsteps enter.

"Hey El! I was- what...do you think you're doing?" The voice belonging to Willa starts. I look up at her to see that she has a disgusted expression plastered on her makeup covered face.

"Well, I think I'm doing homework." I answer her. "If it wasn't already obvious" I mutter under my breath.

She shakes her head disapprovingly. "We really need to get you a life" she states.

I roll my eyes at her. "Without this," I gesture at my homework, "I won't have a life in the future".

"Hmph. Point taken. But can you please just do it after? We're going to do team bonding!" She says enthusiastically.

As fun as that sounds, I can't. Because I know I'll be pulling an all nighter if I don't do at least some, if not all, of my homework now. I may seem like I know my stuff during class but, it's only because I put a lot of work into my homework. It's because of my fear of what happened in elementary school when everyone thought I was stupid.

And so far, only Daniel knows of that secret. I don't think I would want anyone else knowing. Not everyone else would have the same reaction as Daniel. If I didn't have this fear, I probably would have said yes to the team bonding in a heart beat. But to keep her from knowing, I make sure I say something that doesn't give away my insecureness.

"I don't know Willa. I have a lot of work to do." I answer her.

"Oh come one please?" She pouts. "This is your time to get to know the team better since you just got here!" She also points out.

Ok, I have to admit she has good point there too. This could be my chance to get closer to the team. But it's also a time where I can get my homework done. I ponder on those thoughts for a while until I come up with a compromise.

I'll go to the team bonding but only for an hour and then in the last hour before the show, I'll do my homework and then re-apply my makeup. I guess that wouldn't be too bad.

"Fine! I'll go! But-" I start but she squeals not letting me finish. I hold up a finger to her to show her I'm not finished, which makes her stop. "But! I'm only going for an hour" I say giving her a stern look.