21. Ball invitation

HARRY

"Rise and shine, sleeping beauty!" Silas cheerfully says as he enters my chambers, walking towards the windows and parting the drapes. The moment the sunshine breaks through, I groan tiredly.

I have been rather lazy and tired for the past four days thanks to my missing adviser and the mess she left because no one can do her job better than she can.  My father certainly tried, making sure every single second of my time was spent in learning something about being King.  Not to mention Silas, who has taken Amelia's role for the time being, draining every ounce of energy from me.

I yawn for the nth time this morning, the bath I took not helping me to wake up properly. I'm sitting on my bed, my head in my hands and eyes closed, the dread of my father's arrival lurking in the air. One more day of his tutoring and lessons and I am ready to retire without even becoming King.

To make this mess even worse, I was supposed to get shaved today but because my schedule is all over the place, I am stuck with a couple of days sharp stubble even though I am not the type of man who has very thick facial hair. Just a hair here and there, really.

"Silas, I am a peaceful person, but I am going to get very upset if you don't leave." I grit my teeth, still not looking up.

"Aw, you are adorable when you get angry. Your voice sounds like a growl of a baby lion," he coos.

"If you leave now, I will give Niall a day off and you're free to do whatever you want with him." I make a mental note to make up for it later.

"One entire day with dog boy? Annoying him while he attempts to kill me? As you wish, your Highness." He grins mischeviously and bows, quickly leaving my room. "Oi, dog boy, guess what?" I hear him shout.

A groan leaves my mouth when hard knocks are heard barely a minute later, my grunt being the only response. The doors open and I find enough strength to look up because my father deserves respect and I know I wouldn't hear the end of it if I ignored him. However, I don't see my father's blue eyes or messy curls that resemble mine. Instead, a feminine figure stands a few steps in front of me, a figure looking like Amelia.

"You're back!" I exclaim happily and stand up abruptly, approaching her eagerly. My head gets dizzy for a few seconds, but I only shake it, grinning.

"Your Highness." She curtsies, studying my face for a few moments as if she's unsure of how to speak to me. "I've brought your schedule for today."

My smile falters as I glance at the scroll in her hand. "Four days without seeing me and that is all you have to say?"

"I wasn't sure if any other greeting would be appropriate. After all, we hadn't really parted in the best of terms."

"Oh. To be honest, I didn't think you would actually listen to me. You should know I didn't mean it, what I said. At one point I thought you shall not return at all," I admit, gulping nervously.

Her eyes soften and her famous grin spreads over her lips. "I would never leave my flower prince."

I let out a small sigh in relief as a burst of joy spreads through my chest. "I am incredibly relieved to hear that. I mean, you still haven't returned the things you stole, little thief."

"Finders keepers, my Lord."

"I don't think that applies-"

"I missed you."

I raise my eyebrows at her sudden declaration before the biggest grin curves my lips. "I missed you too."

She makes a move as if she is about to hug me, but something stops her. "I couldn't help but notice a few changes have been made around here," she mumbles, making me look at her in confusion. "Oh you know, this castle has a few more residents now..."