Chapter thirteen: Followed

Chapter thirteen:

Followed

I visited my father. He was lying in his bed. He was pale and sicker than a dog. “How are you feeling?” I asked. “Terrible. I must have picked something up in Egypt,” He replied. “Just rest I will take care of everything,” I said. He stroked my cheek. “You look just like your mother,” He said. I left and let him rest. “Jacoby make sure he is well before we reach Spain,” I commanded. Jacoby nodded and went back to swabbing. I took my placed at the helm. Jumma was at the wheel. “Captain where to?” he asked. “Spain” I replied. It felt weird being called captain. I watched the men work. Some swabbed while others checked knots. “Jumma what was it like sailing with my father?” I asked. “Well it was always fun. We had many adventures together. Once we broke into the palace of the king of France. We stole his golden jewelry. He had more jewels then his wife,” He laughed.

“Speaking of wives are you married?” I asked. “No I use to be. I had a little girl too,” He said. “What happened?” I asked. “A sickness came and took my wife. My daughter was killed by a man. He tried to rape her but killed her instead. I when I found him I killed him and was forced to become a pirate,” He said. I heard him choking tears back. “What was her name?” I asked. “Olivia” He said. “I am sorry for your loss,” I said. He seemed to regain his courage and choked the tears away. “It’s alright that was a long time ago,” He said.

I left him at the helm and went below deck. I went to a barrel of cold water. I saw my reflection. I looked tanner and my features had become more defined. I had turned sixteen a month ago. I looked more like a little girl when I was fifteen and now I looked like a woman. My hair seemed to be silkier and darker. “Realizing you looks like a woman,” Talon said. I turned and saw his handsome face staring at me. I noticed that he had grown since we had first met. That was at least two months ago. He was a small boy but a young man with rippling muscles. His face didn’t look like a boy’s as much as a man’s.

“I just realized a lot changes in a two months. You’ve become to look like a young man,” I said. He drew closer to me our lips only a short ways apart. “I have realized that you’ve come to look like a young woman,” He whispered. I placed my finger on his lips. “Not here,” I whispered. He took my hand in his and we hid in the stalls. We ducked down so no one could see us. The only eyes that could see us were the horses. He pressed his lips against mine and we shared a tender moment with each other. Suddenly I heard yelling. I bolted out on deck Talon stayed a few paces behind me. I came up and the men pointed to a ship trailing behind us.

I went to the helm and took the spy glass from Jumma. “What colors is she flying?” I asked. “British soldiers I presume. The ones we encountered in Alexandria,” He replied. “What are your orders, captain?” Talon asked. They both stared at me. There was only one option. “Lock the sails and ready the cannons,” I ordered. Jumma shouted the orders. “Hoist the colors!” I yelled I watched as the men climbed and scrambled about. The British ship caught up to us close. “Ready your weapons. On my mark get ready to board. If it doesn’t go the way we want head by to the ship,” I ordered. The men waited below deck at the cannons. The ship slowed and stayed at our side. Jumma looked to me when they dropped their anchor. I gave him a nod. “Come on lads!” he shouted. The men leaped over the gap between the ships and onto the other deck. I did the same and killed.

Suddenly soldiers began to pop out of the seams of the wood work. “Fall back!” I ordered. When I was sure everyone was aboard I screamed, “FIRE!” The cannons boomed like lightening during a terrible storm. The Britain’s ship caught fire and began to sink. Suddenly Talon walked out carrying a prisoner in his arms. My heart nearly stopped. I had forgotten to check inside before the cannons were fired. “Jumma get Talon before she sinks,” I ordered. Jumma jumped to the other ship a rope in his hand. I prayed that Jumma could get him in time. He tied him and the other to together and leaped to the other side. They tumbled onto the deck. Talon’s clothes were burnt from the fire. His friend he dragged below deck. “Jumma continue our route I have to see to Talon,” I ordered. “Aye captain” He said. I went below deck and saw him lying on a hail pile. “I’m fine just un-tie him,” He breathed. I took my dagger out and un-tied his hands. The man was old with a black coat and pants. He had a white shirt covered by a dark red vest. A yellow sash was attacked to his belt. He had a big hat on his a huge black feather to match the black leather. He took the cloth off covering his mouth. “Thanks lad I owe you one,” He said.

His face revealed several scars and a light brown scraggly beard. “Don’t mention it Axon,” Talon said. “Wait you are Captain Axon. You’re the one who is responsible for the explosion of half of the East Indian Trading Company fleet,” I said. “Aye I am,” He said. “Old Talon here just saved me from being executed. I was caught drunk in a tavern in Turkey. Enough about me though, Talon who is this fine young lady?” “Axon this is Helena. She is Blackbeard’s daughter,” Talon said. Axon tipped his hat to me. He stood up and brushed the ash off of him. “Well my crew won’t be far behind. I saw them trailing a few miles back,” He said. I went to Talon’s side and looked at his burns. Out of the corner of my eye I saw Axon staring at us. A little smile tugged at the corners of his mouth. I looked at him. “Why are you smiling?” Talon asked. “It’s just that I didn’t think Talon would ever find a woman that he fancied along with ‘er,” He said. I felt my mouth go dry and the color from my face drained. “Don’t worry your secret is safe with me,” He said going up on deck. I looked to Talon and he simply shrugged. I patched his burns and went on deck. I joined Jumma at the helm. “Captain Axon’s ship had been spotted behind us will we weigh the anchor?” He asked. I nodded and he gave the command. We slowed and the ship caught up to us.

Axon thanked us for the rescue and left. I went to my father’s cabins.  It was two days before I went to see my father again. I didn’t want to bother his rest. “How are you feeling?” I asked. “Not well I’m afraid. I’ve thrown up at least three times,” He said. “Just try to eat as much as you can. I don’t want you to starve to death,” I said.  I felt his head. He was running a fever. I gave him some drinks of cool water. “Helena I want to tell you something,” He said. “I want you to know that if this sickness gets me I want you to have the ship,” “Father you are not going to die. It is just a fever. We will be in Spain soon and get you the right medicine,” I said. He seemed serious when he told me that he would probably die. “Father I promise you will not die,” I whispered. He fell asleep and I let him rest.

I went below deck and found Talon pouring cool water on his bandaged wounds. “You know that we have spices that will numb the burns,” I said. He laughed a little. I found a pouch and mixed it with water. I poured it on the burns and Talon relaxed. “How did Axon know about us?” I asked. “He is an old friend of mine. He knows when I am in love or angered,” He replied. He leaned in and we shared a kiss.