Chapter eighteen: Battle of a life time

Chapter eighteen:

Battle of a life time

I climbed the shrouds to the cross beam. The sky became gray and thunder boomed as Talon and I peered above at the ship. The ship stopped and I heard the commander bark orders to grab swords and rifles and prepare to search the ship. I placed the bud of the rifle against my shoulder. I took aim. I looked to my father. He gave a single nod. I fired and the commander fell to the ground. Cannon fire went off as I reloaded. “Shoot the gunners” I told Talon. I searched in my coat and pulled two bombs out. I lite them and threw them onto the deck of the ship. “Raise the anchor!” I shouted. The men did so. “You got a plan?” Talon asked. “As always” I replied. We set sail and got ahead of the ship. It exploded just as we escaped.

“Bring her about!” my father shouted. The ship turned and we faced the two other ships. I climbed down to the deck. I latched ropes on to a cannon that sat alone by the stairs. “What do you need me to do?” He asked. “Help me pull this to the bow,” I said. We pulled hard on the cannon. The cannon had to be at least three hundred pounds. If not for the wheels we wouldn’t have been able to move it. We shifted it to point towards with other ship without hitting ours. “Load it” I said. He did so. I went up the shrouds and stood on the cross beam. I looked ahead and at the cannon. I aimed them just right. “FIRE” I yelled. Talon lit the fuse. The cannon ball flew into the main mast of the other ship. The men cheered. All that was left was the royal warship. The ship Prince Thomas was boarded. “Hold your fire and prepare to board!” Father shouted. Everyone went to the grappling hooks. She came along side us.

Suddenly a bolt of lightning and it began to rain heavily. I went to my father. “Father I have to tell you something,” I said. “What is it?” He asked. Just before I could say anything the royal ship came into range. I ran to the stairs and threw the hook. It latched onto the cross beam and swung across. I drew my sword as I hit the deck. Instantly I was engrossed in a sword fight with a soldier. I blocked a strike above my head. I quickly drew my pistol and shot him in the stomach. He fell to the ground and perished. I put the gun back in my belt. I found myself back to back with Talon. “Enjoying yourself?” He asked. “As usual” I replied.

A soldier swung at my head. I ducked and rolled across the deck. I kneeled and sliced his stomach. I stood and pulled a bomb out. Everything on my person was soaking wet. I lit the bomb and luckily it took the flame. I threw it into the Captain’s cabins. It exploded forcing all inside to come out. Suddenly I heard a clatter on the deck. I turned my head around sharply making my wet hair slap against my face.

Axon dove into battle as he hit the deck. “Ello love, miss me at all?” He asked. “Aye mate now get to it,” I said. Suddenly I looked up and saw something. A man tied to the mast standing on the cross beam. I climbed the shrouds. When I came to him he looked shocked. “Who are you?” I asked. “My name is Nathanial Smith, crew man of the Scarlett’s pistol,” He said. “You’re lucky this day you are a pirate,” I said. I cut him loose and he fell and caught the ropes.

I climbed down. I hit the deck and was attacked. I slight his stomach. I took his sword and gave it to Nathanial. “How did you get up there?” I asked. “I was in London heading to me ship when they arrested me and tortured me by leaving me in the sun,” He replied. He ran off to fight while I looked for my father. I found him he had just shot a man. “Helena what is it you were going to tell me?” He asked. He quickly battled a soldier and threw him over board. To my surprise this ship was loaded with soldiers.

“I’m in love,” I said. He stared at me for a minute. He quickly killed a man. Suddenly something caught my eye. I looked towards the stern and saw another warship coming our way. “With whom might I ask?” He asked. “With me, Captain” Talon said. We turned around. Suddenly the conversation was interrupted when ten soldiers attacked us. We went aboard the Queen Anne’s revenge. Soldiers poured to our ship. Half the crew stayed on the warship while the rest retreated to be on territory we knew. Axon was at the helm fighting five soldiers at one time. Jumma found with his fists and sword. His African skin was soaked to the bone.

“Helena” Talon called. He grabbed my arm. “Will you marry me?” He asked. He let go. I spun around and missed an attack. I cut the soldiers back. “Do you really think now is the best time?” I asked. “It may be our only time considering the conditions of the battle,” He said “What say you?” he asked. “Axon” I called. “Aye lass” He said. He blocked an attacked and lay back against the map table in front of the wheel. “Marry us,” I shouted. “I’m a little busy at the moment!” he replied. “Axon, just do it!” Talon yelled. “Fine then” Axon yelled shoving the soldier away from him. He stood up and jumped on the table. As he did he kicked a soldier in the face sending him tumbling back and over the railing.

Talon wrapped one arm around my waist. We both looked to Axon. “Dearly beloved we be gathered here today to marry your sorry asses in front of the mast in the heat of battle,” Axon yelled. He had pulled his sword out and jumped off and began to battle. Talon let go of me and we began to fight. “Talon Matthews do you take me to be your wife?” I asked blocking an attack above my head. “In sickness and in health with the chance of death being more likely?” We came back to back fighting. “I do” He said. “Do you Helena Teach take me to be your husband?” I ran forward away from Talon and shoved a soldier off the ship. I noticed as the battle wore on the rain became heavier.

A soldier ran towards me. He swung and I dodged. I ran forward and rolled under the blade. I landed in a kneel turned around and killed him. I looked up at Talon. “I do” I answered. “As Captain I now pronounce you” Axon yelled. He took two pistols out and shot two soldiers on either side of him. He looked to be having a difficult time. “Just kiss!” He finished. Talon quickly wrapped his arm around me and pulled me into a kiss. The rain pelted our faces, but we didn’t care. Gun shots went off near us, but we didn’t care. We treasured each second of that moment. We pulled away and went back to fighting. “Some wedding, aye?” Talon said. “Aye it would be even better if there was a maelstrom,” I said. Suddenly I looked over and saw Prince Thomas on the deck. His eyes met mine and he jumped onto the ship. “Harridan you’ll see no mercy from me!” I shouted. I drew my sword and fought.

“You had a chance to be rich and you give it up for these bastards,” Thomas shouted. “These bastards are my family, and you are a soulless, ruthless, cross-grained cur you son of a bitch!” I shot back. He became infuriated and fought harder. His lashes became more fierce and stronger. Suddenly I saw an opening. He lunged forward. I ducked down and with my leg swiped his feet out of place. He tumbled to the ground. He still held his sword in hand. I held the tip of my sword to his throat. Suddenly a sound of success came from the roars of all the pirates.

“Helena come quick it is your father,” Jumma said coming to my side. I sheathed my sword and ran to the other ship. I found a group around my father. He held his stomach. His hands stained with blood. I kneeled next to him. “Someone get me a cloth,” I ordered. I saw Jacoby run to the Queen Ann’s revenge and barge into my father’s cabins. Talon came up behind me and he kneeled on the other side of my father. I flung my father’s coat off. Jacoby ran back and handed me a linen sash. I folded it and pressed it hard against my father’s wound. The white linen began to turn scarlet. A puddle of rain turned red next to him

“Helena, don’t” My father stuttered. “Father you are going to be fine,” I said. “Jumma get him below deck and wrap him up,” I ordered. My father acted like he wanted to die. He had lost a lot of blood so he was probably delusional. “I’m sorry” Thomas said. “That he didn’t die,” “You tried to kill him!” I shouted. I drew my sword and fought him. “Yes I tried to but as I can see the bastard just won’t die,” He said. I shoved him off me. “Then if my father can’t die then maybe you can!” I shouted. “You are pathetic!” He snapped. He lunged forward. I twisted to the side. The blade an inch away from my face, and I snapped it out of his hand. The sword clattered against the deck. He tried to punch me. I kneel down and grabbed his ankle. I stood up taking his foot with me.

He fell hard on his back knocking the wind out of him. I pointed the tip of my sword towards his throat once more. “And you are an asshole,” I said. I was about to slit his throat when someone stopped me. “Helena’s he’s not worth it,” Talon said. “Tend to your father we will tie the cack-headed deck ape,” I sheathed my sword and scowled at the frightened prince. I ran below deck to my weak father.