Chapter Thirty One

The cold night wind whipped my face as I ran out into the semi-lit street. I forced my legs to go as fast as I could until I was a good distance from the house. A stitch developed in my side and I came to a halt and winced while trying to catch my breath.

Ossey was lucky he lived a far way off or I'd be tunneling to his house just to kick in his door and probably commit murder. The street was quiet except for a few barking dogs and I was exhausted beyond humanly possible. Fitness wise, I'm about as useful as stale bread and eating all those cookies earlier didn't help.

A slight shuffle caught my attention and I straightened out my back and looked out at the darkness. Loud barks returned and yet there was no movements except for the occasional whistle of the wind. I was about to pass it off as just my imagination until the shuffle came again thus time louder and nearer. My eyes darted from left to right in search of anything as my chest rose and fell slightly. There was no way my legs would be able to carry me any further if this was an ambush, at this point all I needed was a long warm bath and res-

"Up there look!" A voice yell and I jumped.

Heart hammering, I squinted and saw three figures running towards me and for a second I was trapped in place. Blade, Luka and Jude appeared in the light dashing forward and all of a sudden I found the energy I had lack a few seconds ago and started sprinting. My heart thumped loudly in my chest and the blood flowing through my veins felt hot as I pressed forward in a crazy bid to out run three boys who were way taller than I was and would surely catch up in no time.

The sound of scampering feet on the sidewalk drew closer and I knew they were gaining ground. With a final desperate resort I ran off course into some poor persons front yard. Bolting into the backyard I dashed across the space and somersaulted over the low fence before crashing to the ground on the other side. A bone in my butt cheek may have cracked but I didn't have time to check, I pushed myself from off the ground and began sprinting again at top speed.

With the speed I was going and my quick strides there was no way I would be denied a spot at the Olympics. Loud steps came from behind as they had followed my detour and hopped over the fence. For a second I didn't know where I was until I spotted a house I recognized and took another detour through their yard to get back to the correct street. Blade, Luka and Jude were still on my tail.

I had utilized every ounce of energy but my legs were still fighting to move forward.

Their footsteps were loud and desperate but so were mine. I whipped my head to the side to see how far behind they were and glanced Luka and Jude closing the distance and catching up but where was Blade. If he wasn't behind chasing me then it could only mean one thing... he was going heading me off from infront. My heart hammered in my chest as I half expected Blade to materialize any moment now.

There was a sick feeling in my stomach as my imagination ran wild. Barely able to catch a decent amount of breath I dashed past a house and for a split second whipped my head to the side to have a look which house it was. My heart plunged in my chest and my mouth fell open as I skidded to a halt almost catapulting me to the ground.

Holy mother of God, I accidentally ran pass my house!

Almost panick-stricken desperation kicked in and I have zero clue what made me do it but I made a sudden u-turn and dashed towards Luka and Jude. Blade materialized a few feet away and both Luka and Jude came to a stop confused.

Headlong I ran at them without thinking and walloped Luka in the gut. He doubled over in pain and Jude hesitated for a second deciding whether to help him or chase after me. That second of hesitation gave me the leverage I needed and I ran towards the house my chest burning from a need of air. Blade materialized just a few feet behind as I knew he would and I forced myself to not look back as I dashed up the driveway. One giant leap in my second of madness landed me at the door and I threw it open and flew inside. It slammed loudly hiding me from Blade and his rage and I heard him curse loudly as he came to a halt and paced outside of the door. My body slid to the ground as my legs finally gave out and air forced itself down my lungs.