Chapter Seventeen (Part two)--267th moon

What's this an update? WOO! Have at her, read away. Hope you like it! Looking forward to hearing your comments.

 Hope you like it! Looking forward to hearing your comments

I rested my head against her shoulder and let my bare feet hang over the side of the bed. The window view next to the bed extended over the valley path that led to library tower. Now that I had my mom back, it was the first time since the world of Acklemar unraveled, I felt like everything was going to be okay.

"Mom?" I twisted the starch-white sheet in my fingers.

"Uh-huh..." She took a deep breath and let it out slowly. "What's on your mind?"

I glanced over my shoulder at the door, half expecting Jaxon to waltz back in any second. "I was wondering about the contract. Some of the details I've figured out, but there are others I still don't have any memory of."

She wrapped an arm around me and lay her head on top of mine. "You want to know what happened to the money."

My fingers froze in a tangle of sheets. I pulled them loose and gazed out the window. "Yeah, I guess I do."

"I would too if I were you."

I gave her a tentative smile. "Why's that?"

"Because I know you," she said in a warm tone, lowering her voice. "You wouldn't keep checking that window view if who you were looking for was already here."

Ouch. I'd forgotten how quick to the point she could be. She was right, though. I had been searching the scene for Kellan. With each glance, it felt like my heart broke a little more. Why hadn't he come?

"I can't help it." I burst into a sob on her shoulder. "It would be so much easier if I didn't love him, but I do. Even when he argues with me and makes me so mad I want to punch him, I love him."

My eyes burned, and my words were tight as I spoke them. The stones around my neck hummed against my chest in a faint glow.

"Oh—Wrenny..." She hugged me closer to her. "It's always been that way between you two. Both of you terrified if you said the wrong thing that would be it. It was never something either one of you wanted to admit."

"Well, I don't think that's the problem now." I tugged the top of the medical gown and exposed the knotted ring.

The marking was no longer a watery wave but had a crystallized frosty look to it. I ran my fingers over its frozen etching, unsure what to think about its change in form.

"Hey," Sage said, closing the door. "So I came back as soon as I could."

She plopped down on the bed across from mine and stared at the mark. "So, what happened between you and Kellan?"

"What do you mean what happened?"

She pointed to the mark. "Well, one of you shut the back door."