33

"Where did Captain America learn to steal a car?" Natasha teased from the backseat of the blue pickup truck Steve was driving.

"It's a learned trait." Bucky replied, his feet sprawled across the dashboard in front of the passenger seat.

"Yeah, well, who do you think I learned it from?" Steve looked away from the road for a second to give Bucky a pointed look before he returned his attention to the road.

"And we're borrowing. Take your feet off the dash." Steve continued. Bucky grumbled and reluctantly pulled his feet off the dashboard.

"Alright, I have a question for you two, of which you do not have to answer. I feel like if you don't answer it though, you're kind of answering it, you know?" Natasha rambled as she moved to lean on the console between the two boys.

"What is it?" Bucky asked, pulling down the passenger visor and flipping open the lid to the mirror so he could look at her without turning around. While he waited for her to ask her question, Steve began absentmindedly tapping his fingers against the steering wheel to the ghost whispers of an invisible song.

"It's not really a question, more like a statement." Natasha spoke quietly.

"Just spit it out." Bucky demanded. He was still upset with the fact that she had withheld important information from himself and Steve for so long.

"Well, you guys seem lonely." she pointed out.

"Believe it or not, it's kind of hard to find someone with shared life experience." Steve replied, not really sure why Natasha would want to talk about their love lives with them.

"Well, that's alright, you just make something up." Natasha suggested.

"What, like you?" Steve asked, raising an eyebrow, yet never taking his eyes off the road ahead of him.

"I don't know. The truth is a matter of circumstances, it's not all things to all people all the time. And neither am I." Natasha shrugged.

"That's a tough way to live." Bucky commented, rather bored with the conversation already. He knew she was implying that he should move on from Charlotte and begin seeing other girls, but he was nowhere near ready for that. Charlotte was his soulmate, and he knew there was a very slim possibility of finding anyone like that ever again. So, he had already resided to living alone for the rest of his life.

"It's a good way not to die, though." Natasha admitted, shrugging a little as the smile fell from her face.

"You know, it's kind of hard to trust someone when you don't know who that someone really is." Steve pointed out.

"Yeah. Who do you want me to be?" Natasha asked.

"How about a friend?" Steve replied.

Natasha laughed softly and shook her head before she spoke, "Well, there's a chance you might be in the wrong business, Rogers."

~

No one spoke for the rest of the drive. They were all preoccupied with mentally preparing themselves for what was to come. None of them knew the mental, physical, and emotional pain they would all endure within the next 48 hours. Yet they all prepared for anything and everything because they didn't know what to expect. They never know what to expect, but this mission seemed more dire and important than all the others.

"Okay, turn here." Natasha eventually spoke up. Steve followed her instructions and turned onto the side road. Eventually, they came to a stop outside a chain link fence. All of their eyes traveled up to the sign located near the top of the fence. 'Camp Lehigh' they all read, Steve being the only one who recognized the meaning of the words.