Understanding

Things had been silent on Camila's end since Christmas. She responded to her girlfriend's texts with only the necessary information to answer questions she was asked, and to not make her girlfriend suspicious of what she had overheard between Lauren an her mother.

Camila was very upset. Especially because her mom and Clara had talked about it, and they both seemed to be on the same page. Along with practically ignoring Lauren and spending time away from her, the young Cuban was also giving her mom the silent treatment.

She didn't feel that it was their mothers' place to get involved in where Lauren decided to go to college. Camila was especially upset because her mom wasn't thinking about her and her soon to be grandchild first.

Camila was in her room, headphones in as she read a book on her bed. This was how she had spent most of her days since Christmas. It was a blessing that Lauren had been wrapped up in conditioning for hockey the last few days. Even though the national tournament was over, her girlfriend had to attend the conditioning sessions for the high school team.

Sinu knew that her daughter was upset about something. It had been obvious since the Jauregui's left on Christmas night, Lauren included. She waited for Camila to come to her about whatever was bothering her, but a few days passed and she had barely seen her eldest child.

Walking down the stairs to her daughter's room, Sinu thought of any reason that Camila could be upset. She knew that her daughter was emotional, even without being pregnant, and that it could have been something completely trivial that upset her, especially with the pregnancy hormones. 

She stepped into Camila's room, seeing her daughter on the bed with her head phones in, turned away reading a book. Sinu walked over and sat on the bed, gently touching her daughter's foot to get her attention.

Camila jumped slightly feeling a hand on her foot. She took her headphones out and put the bookmark in its' place. "You scared me, mami." She said as she sat up and looked at the older woman.

"Lo siento, mija." Sinu said as she smiled softly at her daughter. "You've been holed up down here the last few days. I just wanted to make sure everything's okay." She said, concerned for her pregnant daughter.

"I'm fine, mami. Lauren has been busy with hockey stuff, so I've just been reading, watching netflix, and relaxing." She hated lying to her mom, but she wasn't sure if she wanted to have this conversation with the woman.

Sinu nodded her head. She knew that Lauren was busy with hockey, but she also knew that the girl got home early enough to spend time with Camila because she had talked to Clara. She sighed as she thought over what to say next. She didn't want to force anything out of Camila, but she hated seeing her daughter sad and upset.

"Lo que realmente está pasando, Karla?" Sinu spoke, knowing that her daughter would know that she's serious using their native language. "Háblame, mija."

"Nothing, mami. Everything is fine." Camila insisted. She knew that her mother knew better than what she was telling her.

Sinu sighed, she was going to give her daughter one more chance to tell the truth, "No mientas, Karla. Te enseñé mejor."

Camila closed her eyes and leaned her head back against the headboard. "Why did you and Clara talk about Lauren moving away for college?" She blurted out. "I thought you would support me wanting her to stay local."

"Mija," Sinu started. But before she could say anything else, Camila interrupted.

"No, mami. I need her here. I can't raise this baby alone. I don't want to lose her if she goes away." Camila said as she felt tears brimming at her water line.