34

The kitchen was cloaked in the darkness of the night, making it nearly impossible for Alexander Pierce to spot the Winter Soldier sitting silently at his kitchen table. Her dark attire and sullen face added onto her ability to hide in the shadows. It was only when Pierce opened the fridge, bathing the room in a bright, artificial light that reflected harshly off the soldier's metal arm, did he notice her.

They stared at each other, neither one saying a word. The soldier stayed silent because she had been taught over and over again that she should never speak to her superiors, let alone anyone for that matter, unless her mission depended upon it. Pierce stayed silent because he was shocked to find her there. He hadn't heard a single door open, nor had his alarm system gone off.

"I'm going to go, Mr. Pierce. You need anything before I leave?" his housekeeper called out, disturbing the silence. 

Without taking his eyes off the soldier, Pierce answered by calling out, "No. Uh...it's fine, Renata, you can go home."

"Okay. Night-night." she replied before leaving through the front door.

"Goodnight." Pierce said softly even though he knew she couldn't hear him now. He stared at the soldier for a second longer before he turned his back to her and started rummaging through the fridge in search of a drink.

"Want some milk?" he asked the soldier out of respect for his guest as he pulled out the white liquid. He knew she wouldn't answer, but he still asked. As he expected, the soldier just stared at him, a slow blink was his only reply.

"The timetable has moved. Our window is limited. Three targets, level six." Pierce started to explain as he poured himself a glass of milk. When he was done, he cautiously moved to sit at the table in front of the soldier. Only when he sat down did he notice the gun sitting on the table in front of the soldier.

He knew he had full control over the weapon. The soldier wouldn't touch it unless he told her to, or until he told her to leave. The gun was there in case he needed to use the gun against her. Whether it was to put her in her place and remind her who's boss or in case she got too far out of control.

"They already cost me Zola. I want confirmed death in ten hours." Pierce commanded his soldier. The soldier blinked, showing she understood before her eyes darted to something behind Pierce. He turned around and saw his housekeeper, staring at the Winter Soldier.

"Sorry, Mr. Pierce, I...I forgot my phone." she stammered as she stood stone still, not taking her eyes of the menacing soldier who returned her stare.

"Oh, Renata. I wish you would have knocked." Pierce spoke sympathetically as he reached for the gun. He pulled the trigger and with one shot, the housekeeper fell to the floor, dead.

"Take care of this for me. And don't forget, ten hours." Pierce spoke to the soldier one last time before he picked up his glass of milk, stepped over Renata's dead body, and headed back upstairs. 

The soldier stared at the dead women for  a few seconds before she rose from the chair and picked up the body. The soldier then slung the body over her soldier and quickly made her way out the back door without a sound. Effortlessly, the soldier ran through the shadows towards the woods that were nearest to her superior's house. 

Once she was far enough under the cover of the trees, the soldier dropped the woman's body. Thinking quickly, the soldier jogged back to the closest house to the edge of the woods to get a few supplies. The soldier hadn't broken a sweat yet, not even as she easily leaped over the eight-foot fence around the yard.

The soldier stuck to the shadows as she scanned the yard. She quickly spotted a shovel, but that was the only thing she found out of the three total supplies she needed. With a quiet sigh, the soldier headed towards the shed in the corner of the yard.