44. Uprising

8 years ago

8 years ago

A breath of relief escapes my lips when I flash home, finding Jay standing there with his back turned, setting down one of the pieces of art he stole. Laurel gasps next to me when I set her down after the fast run, her eyes wide in awe as she looks around at the place I've called home for most of my life. After hearing her gasp, Jay whips around and stares at her and I, his mask still on.

Before I can speak, Jay is flashing forwards and grabbing me, taking me over to the next room. When we stop, he rips his mask off and stares at me, confusion and a little bit of anger behind his eyes. "Who's she?"

I glance around the corner at Laurel, seeing that she was still just standing there. "That's Laurel Lance-"

"Why is she here?" he asks me before I can finish.

"She's here because she needs a teacher to show her how to use her powers," I state simply before going into more detail. "I found her in an ally on the way back here; she needed help and I saved her. She's got something I think we can use, Jay. You'll just have to see for yourself."

He furrows his eyebrows, looking intrigued. "What makes you think we could use her?"

"Well, considering the fact that she was able to knock me, a speedster, off my feet, she must be useful," I say, shrugging my shoulders slightly with a little hint of excitement in my eyes. "She just needs to be taught how to use her powers and what for..."

I give him a look then, and I knew that he was getting what I was hinting at. I didn't know Laurel at all yet, but I could tell there was a light inside of her. The idea of turning someone like her into a villain; to show her what she is really made of, excited me. It doesn't take much to get someone to realize what they can do when you give them a little taste of power...which is what happened when Jay found me.

"You're sure about this?" Jay asks me one more time, his eyes glancing back around at Laurel in the other room. "You're sure about...her?"

I glance back at her, something in my gut telling me that we could use her. Sure, it was hard enough to go up against two speedsters as it was, but to add her to the mix...we'd be even more powerful. "She has a lot of potential. You'll just have to see for yourself."

Laurel calls out then, her eyes wandering. "Hello?"

Jay walks around me and puts his hood back on, covering his face. Laurel's eyes go wide when she turns and faces him, fear written on her face. However, when she sees me come walking up from behind him, she relaxes slightly.

"Y-You're Zoom," she breathes, her bottom lip quivering. "How-"

"My friend tells me that you have a power that you don't know how to control," Jay says in that raspy voice of his, sounding demonic as always. I thought that there was no way in hell Laurel would answer to someone with that menacing sound of a voice, but to my surprise, she opens up fast.